Mobility scooters with registration plates.

I was in Chesterfield the other day and came across a mobility scooter being driven on the road (not pavement) at above walking pace. The scooter had normal car registration plates. Is this a requirement?

Seems to be:

"To meet the current legal requirements for Class 3 mobility scooters & powered wheelchairs, if you purchase a scooter or powered wheelchair capable of speed above 4mph and with a maximum speed of 8mph for road use, you must register the scooter with the local DVLA office."

I was in Chesterfield the other day and came across a mobility scooter being driven on the road (not pavement) at above walking pace. The scooter had normal car registration plates. Is this a requirement?

It's treated as an electric car if it goes above a certain speed or above a certain mass I think. My late grandparents had one and that was at least ten years ago with reg plates etc.

It wasn't round the old co-op was it? I recall mobility scooters with plates on round that way (and nowhere else perversely) since Adam was a boy.

• 2 weeks later...

The crazy thing is that insurance for mobility scooters is not mandatory, it should be.

Class 2 mobility scooters are capable of 8mph and can be driven on the street. Whether driven on the pavement or street they HAVE to be registered with the DVLA and taxed at zero. Registration plates do not have to be displayed. A disabled person can use a mobility scooter without any form of training. A complete lack of compulsory training is causing a poor opinion of these very useful vehicles within the mind of the general public.

I am doing my utmost to remedy these matters by campaigning to introduce a nationwide plan of training and fight for compulsory insurance.

The crazy thing is that insurance for mobility scooters is not mandatory, it should be.

Class 2 mobility scooters are capable of 8mph and can be driven on the street. Whether driven on the pavement or street they HAVE to be registered with the DVLA and taxed at zero. Registration plates do not have to be displayed. A disabled person can use a mobility scooter without any form of training. A complete lack of compulsory training is causing a poor opinion of these very useful vehicles within the mind of the general public.

I am doing my utmost to remedy these matters by campaigning to introduce a nationwide plan of training and fight for compulsory insurance.

My bold=

Will you be doing the same regarding cyclists?

I have 2 mobility scooters both do 4mph tops, I have insurance for both my scooters but not registered to DVLA as it goes on pavement. Yes a disabled person can use a scooter without training but I consider myself a good driver, and my biggest worry is pillocks who just walk straight across you, or the **** heads who think because they've got a big car they can block the footpaths.

This causes us to use the road to get past them, most people I meet on my travels are very courteous but some are just pig ignorant, and if you are going on about driving without training what about women with prams :rant::rant:

Plus the fact witouit my scooters I would be housebound as cannot walk very far, and liable to collapse.

Edited by Bypassblade

Bypassblade, I am very pleased to hear that your scooters are insured and you obviously take a pride in driving them. As I stated 4mph scooters do NOT have to be registered, so you are doing everything right.

Mafya, my priority is the safety of disabled people. Personally I do believe in a cycle proficiency test and insurance for cyclists, but someone else can look after them.