Opinions firth park ?

My bold=

Yes you are exaggerating, the police do come around fir vale and no it is not a no go area although I think what you mean is it is a no go area for you due to your prejudices...

I think you have got to the nub of it there.

Denlin pops up on almost every "whats this place like" thread, it appears he/she has lived in more places than Alan Wicker.

My Dads side of the family are from there, they have slowly been moving away from the area over the last 10yrs due to being unhappy..

Whilst I'm sure there are some nice, hard working families in the area it's not a very nice part of Sheffield and from stories i've been told it's become a bit of a human 'dump it' site :(

What road in the Firth Park area, please?

The closer to Firth Park centre you are, then the busier, noisier and dirtier it's likely to be.

This is about right, there are some nice parts of Firth park just like there are some nice parts of all areas, I wouldn't want to be to close to the shops personally.

The best thing to do is to invest some time in having a drive/walk around the area of the house, try to go a few times and at different times of day, that will give you a good idea what to expect, also try to get chatting to the neighbours, ask what its like...be pro active.

I like Firth park shops myself, but big disappointment that the Co op is gone.

Firth park is one of Sheffield's nicer neglected lower class areas.

Many friendly multicultural and few white non upper class people who cannot afford expensive clothes, dress up or afford to show off with money. No expensive restaurants, only cheap takeaways and second hand clothes shops, bookies, easy to find parking. It is rare to see brand new cars, most have a little live.

Few very nice middle class citizens are still left there or come to enjoy the cheaper cost of living around firth park while saving for a mortgage elsewhere.

No pubs

Edited by dutch

My bold=

Yes you are exaggerating, the police do come around fir vale and no it is not a no go area although I think what you mean is it is a no go area for you due to your prejudices...

I thought exactly the same thing! Well said Mafya.

It's like a third world ghetto in places and the shopping centre is plagued with thieves. You to live there to know what it's like. The shopkeepers have a hard job with shoplifters and my friends are scared of going to the cashpoint on their own in broad daylight

Afraid it's gone down nick since then. It was a lovely place when I was younger but it is in close proximity to the no go area round Fir Vale where even the police don't go and I'm not exaggerating

I think you are exaggerating there as I don't live far from Firth Park now and often drive through Fir Vale and see plenty of police around at different times. I have also used cash machines and taken large sums amounts of cash as part of one of my volunteer roles into Yorkshire Bank in Firth Park and had no problems. All shops have a hard time with shoplifters, they are even in the better areas of the city. I am not trying to say it is the best place to live however sometimes we don't have much choice and people putting the fear factor in doesn't help. There are sometimes large groups of young people or certain ethnic minorities but they are just hanging around and aren't there to cause trouble, generally the trouble only happens when people treat them unfairly. That's not to say there aren't bad people around there as there are but that is the same for most areas. As for the schools having lower progression rates and lower grades that is partly due to a lot of the 'good' kids being sent to schools across the city as their parents want to ensure their kids get the best education in a school where the teachers don't have to deal with as many behaviour problems.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote

As for the schools having lower progression rates and lower grades that is partly due to a lot of the 'good' kids being sent to schools across the city as their parents want to ensure their kids get the best education in a school where the teachers don't have to deal with as many behaviour problems.

That's simply not possible due to the catchment areas in the city. You can't just "choose" your secondary, which is why those who want their children to go to the best schools live in the south-west of the city (excluding the few faith schools).

Edited by nikki-red
Fixed quote