In-Out vote: Has anyone changed their mind since the campaign started?

EU. In or Out?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. EU. In or Out?

• In
    • Out

It could be sold in the UK instead of importing stuff that we are capable of producing here.

Whilst that sounds like a bad idea to me economically, it would be nice to have the choice.

I expect sutty would vote for a party which supports such things and I would not. Let the majority view prevail. As it damn well ought to.

A vote for IN & this government is a vote for:

House prices will continue to rise.

Wages will carry on being suppressed.

The country side will continue shrinking.

Higher imports to feed a growing population.

Poor public services.

High energy prices.

Increased consumption causing more environmental problems and climate change.

Increased poverty.

Increased health problems cause by vehicle emissions.

Credit: sutty27

Edited by Tomjames
Yyu

As I asked before..what about the people who would be unable to go and live easily in the EU..? What if Spain decide to send the pensioners back?

They are an insignificant minority, staying in the EU to please such a small group of people isn't logical, Spain won't send anyone back and we won't send anyone back, not sure why you think they would.

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 14:21 ----------

Whilst that sounds like a bad idea to me economically, it would be nice to have the choice.

I expect sutty would vote for a party which supports such things and I would not. Let the majority view prevail. As it damn well ought to.

Why is it a bad idea to produce everything we need instead of importing it?

Not that I think it is possible with our current population size.

If the home product is more expensive...

Who's doing the buying? The government or private businesses?

If the government , we have to pay higher taxes to fund the same thing.

If private businesses, you make them less competitive so they'll either be less profitable, go bust needlessly, or leave the country.

There is one country in the world which has attempted this kind of self-sufficiency. The Peoples Democratic Republic of Korea.

Edited by unbeliever

EU state aid rules prevent the government from helping out the nation's steel companies. EU law strictly prevents parliament from bailing out dying companies.

Wow, it's like you totally lifted that from Business Insider!

"2. EU state aid rules prevent the government from helping out the nation's steel companies — EU law strictly prevents parliament from bailing out dying companies."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-steel-industry-failure-eu-state-aid-rules-imports-exports-prices-2016-3

Perhaps you'd like to plagiarise some things from this piece in the Guardian Tom?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/30/would-brexit-help-britain-steel-industry

Edited by Shef1985

They are an insignificant minority, staying in the EU to please such a small group of people isn't logical, Spain won't send anyone back and we won't send anyone back, not sure why you think they would.

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 14:21 ----------

Do you have guarantees for that? After all if we're not in the EU we have no input to decisions made there?

Nothing wrong with producing our own stuff but it must be priced the same as imported goods surely..? Other wise the UK is going to be one expensive place to live..

It wouldn't make economic sense to send x pats back or penalise them.

Spain has 400k of our nationals & 100k job seeking spaniards are here.

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 13:25 ----------

Wow, it's like you totally lifted that from Business Insider!

"2. EU state aid rules prevent the government from helping out the nation's steel companies — EU law strictly prevents parliament from bailing out dying companies."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/uk-steel-industry-failure-eu-state-aid-rules-imports-exports-prices-2016-3

Perhaps you'd like to lift some things from this piece in the Guardian Tom?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/30/would-brexit-help-britain-steel-industry

So you are saying it's not true?

---------- Post added 07-06-2016 at 13:26 ----------

The EU does not allow state support of a business if it would distort competition in the single market.

The final decision on whether state aid is allowed is down to the European Commission.

It applies rules agreed by every country in the EU.

But the steel industry is a special case.

Because the European Union already produces more steel than it needs, the member states of the EU agreed to allow uneconomical producers to go bust, rather than let governments save them.

BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35933904

Edited by Tomjames
Yyu

It wouldn't make economic sense to send x pats back or penalise them.

Spain has 400k of our nationals & 100k job seeking spaniards are here.

Are you saying it wouldn't make economic sense for Spain to send our ex pat pensioners back?