In-Out vote: Has anyone changed their mind since the campaign started?

EU. In or Out?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. EU. In or Out?

• In
    • Out

Are you personally worried that you will lose out as an ex pat?
Personally, not anymore.

But some of our local British support employees definitely would.

They don't have any linguistic skills or foreign qualifications, and their family/personal situations are such that we are most unlikely to be able to relocate them abroad.

If no Brexit, no change, business as usual. We should even grow some more, as it's quite clear to us clients have been holding filings and R&D back some since the beginning of the year.

If Brexit, conservatively 30% of the business will automatically go due to exiting EU Treaties and Directives within 2 years if not before, so I'd be preempting the loss of business with an early relocation into the EU.

That means less UK work (the EU work will be lost for all of our industry across the UK, and go to Ireland, France and/or Germany, and can't be replaced by 'equivalent UK work'). So, redundancies.

That's how the Brexit cookie would crumble for real, in my game at least.

Like I told natjack, you want to make a Brexit omelette, then be ready to break some eggs. None of the above is on me: Brexiters are the main stakeholders in that game, it's all on them. Take it as blackmail, as fearmongering, as what-have-you...makes not one blind bit of difference, Brexit effect will still be the same, as will its consequences for IP legal services across the UK. They're unavoidable.

Edited by L00b

You clearly didn't know.

Ok sutty27, I will indulge you. I'm fully aware there are different types of crude found in UK waters but Brent is the benchmark and is an excellent quality crude oil. You seem to think it would be economically sensible to stop importing oil and use just our own? However we don't just need Brent, we need WTI and OPEC Basket and the other types of crude. If your Sutty27 UK withheld all its Brent for its own use it would severely disrupt the global market because you'd be taking a chunk out of one of the three benchmarks which are used to price about 2/3s of the traded oil supply. Plus we'd be wasting our own high quality oil when other crudes are better suited.

Does that sound sensible to you?

To you it probably does actually....

Edited by Shef1985

Personally, not anymore.

But some of our local British support employees definitely would.

They don't have any linguistic skills or foreign qualifications, and their family/personal situations are such that we are most unlikely to be able to relocate them abroad.

If no Brexit, no change, business as usual. We should even grow some more, as it's quite clear to us clients have been holding filings and R&D back some since the beginning of the year.

If Brexit, conservatively 30% of the business will automatically go due to exiting EU Treaties and Directives within 2 years if not before, so I'd be preempting the loss of business with an early relocation into the EU.

That means less UK work (the EU work will be lost for all of our industry across the UK, and go to Ireland, France and/or Germany, and can't be replaced by 'equivalent UK work'). So, redundancies.

That's how the Brexit cookie would crumble for real, in my game at least.

Like I told natjack, you want to make a Brexit omelette, then be ready to break some eggs. None of the above is on me: Brexiters are the main stakeholders in that game, it's all on them. Take it as blackmail, as fearmongering, as what-have-you...makes not one blind bit of difference, Brexit effect will still be the same, as will its consequences for IP legal services across the UK. They're unavoidable.

I would feel bad for you & your business. I may vote in now

Ok sutty27, I will indulge you. I'm fully aware there are different types of crude found in UK waters but Brent is the benchmark and is an excellent quality crude oil. You seem to think it would be economically sensible to stop importing oil and use just our own? However we don't just need Brent, we need WTI and OPEC Basket and the other types of crude. If your Sutty27 UK withheld all its Brent for its own use it would severely disrupt the global market because you'd be taking a chunk out of one of the three benchmarks which are used to price about 2/3s of the traded oil supply. Plus we'd be wasting our own high quality oil when other crudes are better suited.

Does that sound sensible to you?

To you it probably does actually....

I have made no such suggestion, and made it clear that it is no longer possible to be self sufficient with our current population size, but there was a time when we was self sufficient of our energy needs. And we extract several different grades of oil.

I like this part of the article, because as he says no one knows what will happen it is all speculation.

There are no facts

My mailbag’s been drowning with questions. The biggest being: Please just tell us the facts, what’ll happen if we leave?

I’m sorry, but actually there are no facts about what happens next.

Anyone who tells you they KNOW what’ll happen if we leave the EU is a liar.

Predicting exact numbers for economic, immigration or house price change is nonsense.

What’s proposed is unprecedented. All the studies, models and hypotheses are based on assumptions – that’s guesstimate and hope.

So accept the need to wrestle with uncertainty.

That is exactly my concern, which is economies do not like uncertainty, it leads to a lack of confidence and then less investment and less spending. Why put our economy and with it our future as such an unprecedented risk?

That is exactly my concern, which is economies do not like uncertainty, it leads to a lack of confidence and then less investment and less spending. Why put our economy and with it our future as such an unprecedented risk?

The uncertainty won't be permanent and even in there is uncertainty.

The uncertainty won't be permanent and even in there is uncertainty.

It is unprecedented though, so Brexit carries a huge risk to our economy. The big question that should be put to the population is leaving the EU worth the unprecedented risk to our economy.

I've always thought no.

So even if I was to chose on that one issue alone, it would be enough for me to believe that we are better inside the worlds biggest economy, having a say on how it is run. Everything else is just window dressing, almost like arguing over how to set up the deckchairs on the Titanic as it sinks.

I would feel bad for you & your business. I may vote in now
Why?

You don't know me from Adam.

If I made you think some more about the likely consequences of Brexit, good, mission accomplished.

If it's just sympathy, real or fake, I don't need it and it'd be poor form to base one of the most important votes you're ever likely to have in your lifetime on it.

Just vote according to your convictions, though. Not anyone else's.

One of the problems is that the debate isn't split across party lines..if we vote "out" then how can we be sure that the "campaign promises" made by the exiters will be fulfilled? eg. how do we know the money they say we will save will be put to improving the public services rather than be used to lower the deficit etc.etc.

This is one of the reasons I'll probably vote to remain. At the moment we pay money to the EU and we get some of it back on things like grants for roads, improving housing and public places and a lot of other things. If Johnson and Gove form the next government after a brexit I can't see them reinvesting the money in public services. Maybe the savings will go on tax cuts for the rich and public services will be worse off.