Mike Ashley believeable or not

Quite true - he is running a business. It really does make you wonder how hundreds of thousands of businesses operate profitably without humiliating their staff, having ambulance crew nigh on permanently parked up outside their warehouse, and some workers being promised permanent contracts in exchange for sexual favours. :rolleyes:

As well as businesses having rules, there are rules that are the laws of the land. One of which is the requirement to pay the minimum wage.

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 13:06 ----------

Indeed. That is what the Select Committee found. The Chairman of the committee said:

"It's seems incredible that Mike Ashley, who visits the warehouse at least once a week, was unaware of these appalling practices".

"This suggests Mr Ashley was turning a blind eye to conditions at Sports Direct in the interests of maximising profits, or that there are serious corporate governance failings which left him out of the loop in spite of all the evidence".

Would you be tempted to offer contracts to ladies (or men if you are gay) in exchange for something they wanted?

You honestly wouldn't be tempted? A hot young lady offers you things you've only dreamed of before and you wouldn't even be tempted?

Most men would be tempted.

I think lots of people are tempted to do lots of things, but there is such a thing as self restraint.

Has he? I don't think he's mentioned arduous work, that's why he said the word "conditions" - which relate to the environment, not the job in question.

Fair doo's, but yes, he has still failed to understand the issue at hand.

I understand Mr Ashley is running a business and not a social club.

I think everyone gets that bit.

You fail to understand that if Mr Ashley's business didn't have rules, then too many workers would steal more goods than they process and too many workers would spend more time looking at their mobile phones than working.

Did you bother to read the report?

"Union officials told MPs that in one case an employee had given birth in a toilet at the company's warehouse base in Shirebrook, Derbyshire, because she feared losing her job if she called in sick."

How can you possibly defend a system that leads to incidents like that?

If this is a good way to operate, how come most other companies manage to avoid it and still be successful?

Edited by Magilla

Fair doo's, but yes, he has still failed to understand the issue at hand.

I think everyone gets that bit.

Did you bother to read the report?

"Union officials told MPs that in one case an employee had given birth in a toilet at the company's warehouse base in Shirebrook, Derbyshire, because she feared losing her job if she called in sick."

How can you possibly defend a system that leads to incidents like that?

If this is a good way to operate, how come most other companies manage to avoid it and still be successful?

There are always three sides to every story and Union officials have their own agenda.

I am not defending any system and pointing out there needs to be rules especially with such a big workforce. Mr Ashley's warehouse seems to operate a system which heavily depends on labour rather than automation techniques involving conveying belts, computers etc. The warehouse employs many people rather than using a system which doesn't use many people.

Have you the same concerns about workers conditions in warehouses and factories in such places as China and Bangladesh, which are used to bring cheap goods to British customers just like Sports Direct do ?

There are always three sides to every story and Union officials have their own agenda.

What agenda do you think the Commons Business Committee have?

I am not defending any system.....

Well, it seems like you were trying to.

Have you the same concerns about workers conditions in warehouses and factories in such places as China and Bangladesh, which are used to bring cheap goods to British customers just like Sports Direct do ?

Yes, but this isn't about a warehouse in China or Bangladesh.

Edited by Magilla

The problem you have is that he has been successful and he is competing with companies who mostly treat their staff much better.

The temptation is that in order to compete other companies go down the same route ,for instance offering staff more 0 hour contracts and putting unacceptable levels of pressure on them as has already been documented.

Do we really want these sort of work practices to become the norm in this country because I have no doubt many other large companies will be watching this very closely.

I think lots of people are tempted to do lots of things, but there is such a thing as self restraint.

Would you be tempted?

Also, consider that the long term recruitment policy was followed above board and according to the law. Laura got the job and Laura happens to be smoking hot. Laura offers sexual favours to you in order to get the job as the results haven't been released yet.

What would you do?

The problem you have is that he has been successful and he is competing with companies who mostly treat their staff much better.

The temptation is that in order to compete other companies go down the same route ,for instance offering staff more 0 hour contracts and putting unacceptable levels of pressure on them as has already been documented.

Do we really want these sort of work practices to become the norm in this country because I have no doubt many other large companies will be watching this very closely.

I with agree your sentiments. But, the problem is over the years full time workers have been given too much protection, making it harder for employers to get rid of poor workers. As a consequence part time workers and zero hour contracts make sense for employers.

Bad lazy workers and too much legislation are to blame for current practices used by employers.