Who do UKIP represent?

Still I know a fair number of people who voted against AV because they were cross with Clegg. Muppets.

The loonies in my area voted out a brilliant Lib Dem councillor who won term after term after term for the same reason.

The Labour councillor who won did very little and lost the next election.

What type of electorate should and shouldn't be voting for them, and why?

Anyone earning £30k or less, anyone with kids, anyone who believes in democracy, anyone who sees the liblabcon ping pong politics for what it is.

---------- Post added 08-06-2016 at 10:26 ----------

The loonies in my area voted out a brilliant Lib Dem councillor who won term after term after term for the same reason.

The Labour councillor who won did very little and lost the next election.

North Sheffield's woken up to Sheffield labour and libdem lap dogs,

UKIP, and the Leave campaign in general, are now openly admitting that Brexit will damage the economy. Farage said as much last night with his comments about there being more important things than GDP. Who do you think is better placed, financially, to weather the economic storm that Brexit would unleash? Millionaires like Farage, Sykes, Banks et al., or people on £30k a year or less?

There are more more important things than GDP, GDP doesn't measure the happiness and wealth of the population, meaning that the economy can be growing whilst the majority are getting poorer and less happy.

Hard right & disenfranchised old labour supporters.

Plus a lot of ex-Lib Dem voters.

UKIP have pushed the Lib Dems out of 2nd place in many wards in Sheffield plus all the seats they hold in North Sheffield were once safe Lib Dem seats.

I think that Farage's point was "economic growth isn't as important as keeping undesirable foreigners out of the country". Not "the absolute size of the GDP isn't as important as how it's distributed amongst the populace".

To repeat, who is going to be worse affected by the economic downturn that even the Leave campaign are admitting would follow Brexit? Multi-millionaires like the people who pay for UKIP, or ordinary people on £30k a year or less?

Probably the best measure would be median income. Although even that has issues. Boosting GDP by boosting population is a cheat, using the median avoids this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_income

Perhaps also combine that with the gini coefficient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

I think that Farage's point was "economic growth isn't as important as keeping undesirable foreigners out of the country". Not "the absolute size of the GDP isn't as important as how it's distributed amongst the populace".

To repeat, who is going to be worse affected by the economic downturn that even the Leave campaign are admitting would follow Brexit? Multi-millionaires like the people who pay for UKIP, or ordinary people on £30k a year or less?

I earn less than £30K a year and I can't say that I noticed any difference after the 2008 crash other than houses were a bit cheaper, and this down turn is predicted to be much milder. During the boom years rents went up, house prices went up, food prices went up but wages didn't keep pace so the poor got poorer and the rich got richer whilst the economy was booming.

I earn less than £30K a year and I can't say that I noticed any difference after the 2008 crash other than houses were a bit cheaper, and this down turn is predicted to be much milder. During the boom years rents went up, house prices went up, food prices went up but wages didn't keep pace so the poor got poorer and the rich got richer whilst the economy was booming.

Me neither but how many jobs were lost?

---------- Post added 08-06-2016 at 12:01 ----------

I agree that median income is probably the best measure of a typical person's actual income. I'd argue that (real) per capita GDP is the best measure of how the economy as a whole is doing. I.e., divide the GDP by the number of people in the country. I agree, again, that just quoting the total GDP can be quite misleading, and is really only of interest to members of a small rentier class who are creaming off a certain percentage irrespective of how many other people there are to share out the leftovers between.

The Gini coefficient is a good measure of income (or wealth) inequality, but these days something like the income or wealth of the richest, say, 100,000 people would be very relevant too, since that is now big enough to be distorting the economy by itself. That's about the 99.8th percentile.

This is getting off topic, however ...

There's another measure being used as well-- "PPP" --

" PPP takes into account the relative cost of local goods, services and inflation rates of the country, rather than using international market exchange rates which may distort the real differences in per capita income" (wiki)

The UK is 9th in that list ....Brazil and Indonesia are above us...

Edited by truman

Me neither but how many jobs were lost?

In 2007 29,264,000 were in work.

In 2008 29,749,000 were in work.

It didn't fall below 29,000,000 and by 2012 is was back to 29,746,000 and by 2013 it was over 30,000,000.