Overtime, holidays, and work

Well you are on your own with this one then. That is absolutely the problem with not joining a union.

Unions are pointless. All they do is keep the incompetent from being sacked. If you are skilled enough and actually work hard enough, you can negotiate your own terms and conditions better than any rep can.

My contract states that my holiday may be refused/retracted if the need of the business demands it. I'm not allowed to book significant time off if the other leads are also on holiday at the same time for example.

Sounds like your employer can cancel your holiday then

Unions are pointless. All they do is keep the incompetent from being sacked. If you are skilled enough and actually work hard enough, you can negotiate your own terms and conditions better than any rep can.

What a load of drivel.

---------- Post added 12-06-2016 at 10:34 ----------

Well you are on your own with this one then. That is absolutely the problem with not joining a union.

Right on :thumbsup:

Sounds like your employer can cancel your holiday then

It's never happened though, as holiday has to be booked in advance, then heavy work isn't planned when lots of people are out of the office. I've never had the 'pleasure' of working for an employer that's actually asked me to cancel time off either, even if my contract says they can.

I've been working in IT for almost 20 years, I've never known a contract that says I can book holidays when I like without someone signing it off as it being at a suitable time.

It's never happened though, as holiday has to be booked in advance, then heavy work isn't planned when lots of people are out of the office. I've never had the 'pleasure' of working for an employer that's actually asked me to cancel time off either, even if my contract says they can.

I've been working in IT for almost 20 years, I've never known a contract that says I can book holidays when I like without someone signing it off as it being at a suitable time.

I suppose if the needs of the business can change at short notice it is more likely to be considered reasonable.

See here:

http://www.xperthr.co.uk/faq/can-an-employer-cancel-an-employees-booked-period-of-annual-leave/156224/

The OP question seems to have been answered (albeit not the answer they were hoping for).

Can an employer make you cancel your leave - yes.

They appear to have a sufficient business need and if there are other people off too this gives more strength to their argument that they need them in. It seems that the OP's contract of employment also clearly sets out that holiday can be retracted if business demands.

This seems to be the case here. Unfortunately, just because a circumstance has not happened before does not mean that the employer isnt entitled to do it.

If there is actually a holiday and travel plans booked already then there may be some argument that cancelling now is unfair, but other than that, I dont think the OP has any other grounds.

Legal advice may help, but if the HR laws are clear it might not change anything.

Edited by ECCOnoob

My contract states that my holiday may be refused/retracted if the need of the business demands it. I'm not allowed to book significant time off if the other leads are also on holiday at the same time for example.

I was just interpreting this comment from earlier but stand corrected that this was not the OP.

Given that it's overtime they're asking for anyway, they can't demand that, even if they do have a justification to cancel the annual leave.

If that's being done without offering compensation for the cost of the holiday already booked then I'd seriously consider leaving the job, it might be legal, but it's not right to approve and then cancel annual leave leaving the employee out of pocket on having paid for a holiday.