Bike theft around sheffield.

Anyone have news or info on what it's like? I've been a cyclist(casual) one for 2 years now and I've come to the decision to purchase a more pricier bike. What are the chances of it getting nicked?

I meant I'm using one of those 40 quid U locks. Don't think that's enough though.

One of the reasons some people go for folding bikes is that you can avoid the need to have them locked up outside for long periods.

There's so many good quality folder options available these days, that maybe it's worth checking some out, just because it cuts the risk of theft to virtually nothing, compared to non-folders?

Bike theft is big business. Don't leave anything at all outside unless it is locked with a decent D-lock, even crap bikes will get nicked. Don't leave anything of any value anywhere as it will get stolen.

They follow people home who have good bikes and break into sheds / garages to steal them. They will take them out of locked cars / vans / off roof racks and if you have bike rails on your car that also indicates you probably have a decent bike. It's bloody depressing how many bikes get taken.

• 4 months later...

It's a regular thing now, I had 5 locks cut off my garage and a 3k Genesis stolen from my garage, the only one of its type in Sheffield and now some idiot who has no idea what it's worth will be riding it, the frustration is unreal.

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 11:23 ----------

It's a regular thing now, I had 5 locks cut off my garage and a 3k Genesis stolen from my garage, the only one of its type in Sheffield and now some idiot who has no idea what it's worth will be riding it, the frustration is unreal..

I've left my old 29er stood in my front yard in the hope that someone will take it away for me. It's been about 3 weeks now and it's still there :-(

I'm going to have to do something drastic, like ride it into town one last time and then leave it leaning against a bike rack, unlocked.

I've left my old 29er stood in my front yard in the hope that someone will take it away for me. It's been about 3 weeks now and it's still there :-(

I'm going to have to do something drastic, like ride it into town one last time and then leave it leaning against a bike rack, unlocked.

You could donate it to ReCycle Bikes.