Pensions & the NHS under threat

It's not news, it's been raised and debated already in the EU Referendum and In-Out threads.

No.11 policies and spending commitments, including ring-fencing of pensions and NHS, were based on growth estimates in 2010 (with intervening updates since), long before a referendum promise and the spectre of a Brexit.

Brexit now looming like a real possibility, which would cause an economical contraction of indeterminate scope/length to the UK (acknowleged by Brexit and their economists themselves), therefore less tax receipts to come to No.11 in case of Brexit.

Less tax income to No.11 in case of an economic contraction is inevitable, that's just cold hard logic. But do please have a go to prove this wrong as a matter of principle.

No.10 comes out clean about the matter, if less tax receipts to No.11, money will have to come from somewhere to keep current spending, so from more taxes (not a type of policy favoured by Tories) or from more borrowing (not a type of policy favoured by Tories), or the current spending will have to come down. Therefore still less services/benefits, whereby the ring-fencing around pensions/the NHS may have to be removed depending how bad it gets (to be clear, that doesn't necessarily mean reducing pensions/NHS budgets, it can simply mean not increasing pensions/NHS budgets, which would have the same effect over time after inflation is taken into account).

Again, that's just cold hard logic, but do please have a go to prove this wrong as a matter of principle.

Oh well, at least IDS comes out clean about his belief in magic money trees.

Edited by L00b

The nhs budget may well be hit, possible less boob jobs and gastric bands, but doubt he will hit pensions that would affect core Tory voters. It would be like labour going in and cutting benefits for the core labour voters.

The nhs budget may well be hit, possible less boob jobs and gastric bands, but doubt he will hit pensions that would affect core Tory voters. It would be like labour going in and cutting benefits for the core labour voters.

That's pathetic. The vast majority of boobs jobs on the NHS are reconstructive work after cancer surgery. I guess though the trouble that these women will face will be a price that you're willing to pay.

Another day another scare story another rebuttal...........

So how do you think the we'll be able to fund our public services to the same level when the economic downturn happens due to Brexit? I'm not sure that we can go on a big borrowing spree, so maybe we could raise taxes instead?

Never said they were,nt. There are demands upon the nhs as with all public services. The nhs budget if cut will have to be more wisely spent and priorities set. I merely mentioned boob jobs and gastric bands as two procedures it can equally apply to hip replacements or cataract removals.

You took the first sentence as meaning I believed these procedures should not take place. I was stating a fact that if the budget is cut services will suffer.

Never said they were,nt. There are demands upon the nhs as with all public services. The nhs budget if cut will have to be more wisely spent and priorities set. I merely mentioned boob jobs and gastric bands as two procedures it can equally apply to hip replacements or cataract removals.

You took the first sentence as meaning I believed these procedures should not take place. I was stating a fact that if the budget is cut services will suffer.

So why did you only mention what many to believe frivolous operations? Why did you not say that in the event of Brexit people are going to have to wait longer for their cancer treatment?

It's refreshing that a Brexit supporter accepts that the standard of treatment from the NHS will drop in the event of Brexit. I guess that you believe it's a price worth paying. I do not.

There are vast areas of the nhs that account for waste. One area is methadone for heroin addicts at a cost of 35k per addict per year. My wife has been giving methadone to the same addicts year in year out. You are supposed to reduce your consumption over 12 months to zero but after 34 years in pharmacy she can name only one addict that has got off methadone. The rest just keep taking it, is that a good use of nhs money 35 thousand a year per addict.