Electrical Advice Please

What's a mega?

It's short for Meg-ohm tester, it's a small instrument which injects a short high voltage pulse into wiring or an appliance (not computer circuits!) and measures any leakage or insulation breakdown. Frequently used in PAT testing.

It's short for Meg-ohm tester, it's a small instrument which injects a short high voltage pulse into wiring or an appliance (not computer circuits!) and measures any leakage or insulation breakdown. Frequently used in PAT testing.

So mega=megger; which as you say is used for testing insulation resistance. I wonder why the OP has been using it for testing for continuity.

I got the spelling wrong( as I often do) the instrument is called a Megger and can be used to test insulation and for testing if an electrical component has a failed or failing circuit.

http://www.espares.co.uk/advice/1/2979/how-to-use-megger-identify-faulty-element

Copy and paste to view the video.

I have been to buy my own Megger this morning.

Don't worry I will unplug the cooker first before testing.

I got the spelling wrong( as I often do) the instrument is called a Megger and can be used to test insulation and for testing if an electrical component has a failed or failing circuit.

http://www.espares.co.uk/advice/1/2979/how-to-use-megger-identify-faulty-element

Copy and paste to view the video.

I have been to buy my own Megger this morning.

Don't worry I will unplug the cooker first before testing.

Have you got any idea what you're testing, or what your tester might tell you?

An insulation resistance tester costs over a hundred quid, would it not be easier to get someone out?

Why haven't you gone back to your electrician? Surely if you tell him what happened after his installation he'll be back round as he'll have given you a receipt or signed it off ( with written proof) as he will be self certified. If not, get it checked by someone who is. Anyone can pretend to know about electrics.

Have you got any idea what you're testing, or what your tester might tell you?

An insulation resistance tester costs over a hundred quid, would it not be easier to get someone out?

Yes I do have an idea of what I am testing. I can read and do read, which it seems most people replying on this thread do not bother to do.

I can also take instruction either from someone beside me or by watching informative video provided by qualified people. Which it seems people on the thread have not bothered to do either, even though I and another have provided a link.

---------- Post added 15-06-2016 at 08:23 ----------

Thank you to those who have tried to contribute positively. I now have a multimeter and will test the parts that were fitted to see if one or both are faulty.

To any byestanders who have been following the thread. Always disconnect from the main supply before doing any thing electrical, even changing a lightbulb.