Electrical Advice Please

We replaced the thermostat and the heating element on an oven as it tripped the circuit switch when it got up to a certain temperature. Now it does not heat up at all. When the cooker is switched off there is a live reading on the mega but when it is switched on there is no circuit. Has it been wired wrongly?

Going back to your first post, it would indicate that an element in the oven (there can be more than one) is short-circuiting when hot. The replacement element could be open circuit but there are only two connections to it so surely can't go wrong there. Presume there are only 2 tabs on the stat.

The highlighted sentence presumably means your meter is indicating a circuit is present yet oven does not work when switched on?

The control stat should read (when cold) zero ohms across two of its tabs, so its effectively short-circuited when cold.

There can be an over-heat stat which goes open circuit when the oven overheats, these are usually sited on the top or back of oven casing.

My own oven is 17 ohm when measured across the L and N input wires.

Yes I do have an idea of what I am testing. I can read and do read, which it seems most people replying on this thread do not bother to do.

I can also take instruction either from someone beside me or by watching informative video provided by qualified people. Which it seems people on the thread have not bothered to do either, even though I and another have provided a link.

---------- Post added 15-06-2016 at 08:23 ----------

Thank you to those who have tried to contribute positively. I now have a multimeter and will test the parts that were fitted to see if one or both are faulty.

To any byestanders who have been following the thread. Always disconnect from the main supply before doing any thing electrical, even changing a lightbulb.

What tests will you do with your multimeter to establish if the heating element is faulty or not?