Changing energy suppliers

Scottish Power were terrible for me when I first joined them. Took me a year to get a bill out of them so I could leave! I'm with EDF and have recently signed up to a new tariff that has cut my gas and electric bill by 1/3 and my direct debit from £43 a month to £28 a month. I am a single person living alone, though, so my energy usage is minimal.

Shop around for the best price per unit as the price of gas is falling and if you're on a fixed tariff like I was you could be paying more than you need to.

Putting some simple energy saving measures in place will also help lower your bills. This winter is the first time I've actually thought to take it seriously and I was surprised how much I have saved by simple things like putting up door curtains to block out cold air, having a water meter fitted (good idea if you live alone), closing the curtains at night to keep the heat in and using the heating timer properly so I'm not heating an empty house. All this means I can choose to either save on the bills or spend the same but get more heating and comfort for my money when I am off work and home all day!