Changing energy suppliers

OK but why are the prices different is what I'm asking.

Same gas... same electricity... It's competition from the different suppliers... I always look for the lowest cost per KWh... and go for that... the standing charge is also worth looking at.

What I don't understand is why there are such price variations between different suppliers.

because some installed all the pipes and cables, and have to pay the up-keep costs, they also re-sell the use of these to other companies too..

like how BT work with the phonelines....

Regardless of who your "supplier" is, your gas and electricity physically gets to you via the same pipes/wires. All this "switching suppliers" and competition between them is a load of cobblers to me. The sooner energy supply is nationalised the better!

• 4 months later...

Why is it so complicated to change energy supplier?

I changed to the cheapest on a year ago, now I can fix again or change, its worse than car insurance companies.

Been on a few compare sites, GB energy does well, it seems like the smaller companies are cheaper.

But they dont tell you the price in units that you can compare, so you have to trust them.

I am a light user, partly because I have solar panels. I am with Scottish power at the moment.

I can fix for one year with Scottish power and save £147, fix for two years and it will cost £602, just £5 less than being on a standard tariff..