I can appeal a parking ticket on the grounds of bad spelling, right?

Google Street View doesn't seem to show any signs in Nov last year either.

Where were you parked exactly? Sheldon St, or Arley Street, as shown on the ticket.

I'd still go to my first link earlier and post up the facts as suggested.

If you were outside the car park, then isn't that Sheldon St? If so, you might just find that the contravention did not occur.

---------- Post added 13-06-2016 at 22:16 ----------

Pay the fine, stop looking to blame anybody else for your illegal parking and park in the correct place next time.

Problem solved.

But how did he know the parking was illegal if there were no signs? Yes an educated guess maybe, and would I have parked there; probably not.

However, there are other single yellows where parking is permitted during the day, but not in the early mornings or late evenings; outside the Hare and Hounds at Dore springs to mind for one.

Outside a CPZ, single lines require a plate, as far as I'm aware.

Edited by peak4

Google Street View doesn't seem to show any signs in Nov last year either.

Where were you parked exactly? Sheldon St, or Arley Street, as shown on the ticket.

I'd still go to my first link earlier and post up the facts as suggested.

If you were outside the car park, then isn't that Sheldon St? If so, you might just find that the contravention did not occur.

You're right, I was parked on Sheldon Street, not Arley Street as on the ticket!

Would that be grounds enough for appeal? I think I have a good case with the wrong street on the ticket, the lack of signage and also the spelling mistake, prescribed rather than proscribed. 'Prescribed' would mean they encourage parking at that time... :hihi:

You're right, I was parked on Sheldon Street, not Arley Street as on the ticket!

Would that be grounds enough for appeal? I think I have a good case with the wrong street on the ticket, the lack of signage and also the spelling mistake, prescribed rather than proscribed. 'Prescribed' would mean they encourage parking at that time... :hihi:

I wouldn't rely too much on the spelling, but I'd consult the experts over at pepipoo to make sure you get the correct wording for your next action. I suspect that SCC will deny your representations, but that you would win on adjudication. N.B. I'm no expert, so ask someone who knows. Looks for folks there with high post counts. e.g hcanderson, mrmustard, dancingdad etc. but do scan and post both sides of the PCN, suitably redacted of course.

I would have thought so, if that's right.

-

Google maps isn't the best I would think for members to be looking at, as this road has been altered recently.

I would have thought so, if that's right.

-

Google maps isn't the best I would think for members to be looking at, as this road has been altered recently.

The council map of the Highfield CPZ clearly shows the street as Sheldon Street - https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/transport/parking-permits/maps/Highfields-Permit-Parking-Scheme-Plan/Highfields%20Parking%20Zone%20Plan.pdf

You're quite correct, but that means the area is part of a controlled zone, albeit Highfield, not Central.

This means that plates are not required to supplement the yellow lines as you are expected to have seen the signs on the way into the zone.

Personally I've never thought that reasonable, particularly when they are placed somewhere like THIS i.e. the way into Highfields zone from St Mary's Gate.

I suspect that puts paid to any arguments regarding lack of timeplates.

The issue of the ticket being issued for the wrong road however........................?

Pay the fine, stop looking to blame anybody else for your illegal parking and park in the correct place next time.

Problem solved.

Missing the point. How do you know when it's legal if the signs are not there.

You're quite correct, but that means the area is part of a controlled zone, albeit Highfield, not Central.

This means that plates are not required to supplement the yellow lines as you are expected to have seen the signs on the way into the zone.

Personally I've never thought that reasonable, particularly when they are placed somewhere like THIS i.e. the way into Highfields zone from St Mary's Gate.

I suspect that puts paid to any arguments regarding lack of timeplates.

The issue of the ticket being issued for the wrong road however........................?

Yes I realise now that I was actually parked at the wrong hours in a CPZ, but who ever heard of the Highfield CPZ before now? I knew the city centre is CPZ, but Highfield, who knew?

Like you I checked Google street view last night looking for the signs at the entrance to Bramall Lane which is the way I came. I've crossed that roundabout hundreds of times and never seen that sign. It's not prominent enough and it's right at the exit of St Mary's Gate roundabout where you're concentrating entirely on the traffic around you. There'e isn't time to even notice there's a sign there, never mind read what it says.

So that's more grounds for appeal. If the council reject my appeal I'm sure I will win at arbitration as they tend to rule in favour of the victim, especially if there are any arguments that the Council got it wrong in enforcing their traffic restrictions.