I can appeal a parking ticket on the grounds of bad spelling, right?

And the obligation is on those administering a parking scheme to ensure that any parking restriction times are fully notified to the public. A single yellow line merely indicates that parking restrictions apply. It does not indicate when they apply just that parking is permitted there at certain times.

If the road is not within a designated zone, then it is a requirement that restrictions are cleary visible on signs. If there is a failure on behalf of a local authority to clearly and correctly mark the road or display the signs the restrictions are not enforcable. Indeed it would be an offence to issue tickets in such circumstances.

Maybe it's about time the onus was on selfish car owners who will happily park their vehicle where they like without a care for the consequences of their selfish actions. Maybe the poster didn't fancy walking an extra twenty metres from a parking space up the road.

Maybe it's about time the onus was on selfish car owners who will happily park their vehicle where they like without a care for the consequences of their selfish actions. Maybe the poster didn't fancy walking an extra twenty metres from a parking space up the road.

And in the absence of signage how are you supposed to know?

I bet you'd moan like hell if you got a ticket for parking in a suspended parking bay and the suspension sign was missing, hard or impossible to see.

I'd agree. However if the photos show he's parked on double yellows on the street then that's not going to help.

However you can't be nailed twice for the same thing. So if the adjudicator tells the council to sling their hook that's it. If the adjucator is having a bad day and allows the location to be amended you are bang to rights....

Post it on pepipoo (and watch out for the abrasive posting style don't wind them up just answer their questions however asinine they may seem there is a reason for them being asked) They will give you the best answers.

Single yellow, I thought that was clear from the OP.

---------- Post added 14-06-2016 at 18:02 ----------

The rules for controlled parking zones.

1. They cover a fixed area

2. Everywhere in the area have to have some form of prescribed line, or a parking bay

3. You have to have entrance signs which must

a) be on BOTH sides of the road

b) be visible

c) not be near a hazard

d) be at EVERY vehiculae entrance

4. The CPZ must not be excessively large - guidance says no more than ten streets. (EDIT: actually a dozen)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/496987/operational-guidance.pdf - see P 140 regs D5 and D6

The highfield zone is a bit too large.

Have a look at the signs here for entrance to the zone

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3734891,-1.4679684,3a,90y,193.31h,95.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sx-8DTh-wcWXpi8o0bo2AoA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Do they look unobscured? Go, see if there are ANY entrances with obscured signs like this and get photos. Hold a copy of the local paper up and shoot video to demonstrate the date. (video much harder to photoshop than a still image).

Heres another one - wheres the other sign? You have to have them on BOTH sides of the road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3706949,-1.4774643,3a,75y,72.44h,89.17t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s5o0a-ASast3bsoqTacUkjw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D5o0a-ASast3bsoqTacUkjw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D187.48563%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

If there are any entrances on which you could have entered through where signage is not up to scratch, then it's grounds to contest. Similarly the street name is also grounds - especially if they say you were on double yellow and you were actually on single yellow.

If point 2 is correct then the CPZ fails here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3714322,-1.4736846,3a,75y,302.9h,56.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQDzghhf0KGl-Jc370aTiAw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Single yellow, I thought that was clear from the OP.

---------- Post added 14-06-2016 at 18:02 ----------

If point 2 is correct then the CPZ fails here.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3714322,-1.4736846,3a,75y,302.9h,56.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQDzghhf0KGl-Jc370aTiAw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I know, I was speaking just in general terms although I didn't make it especially clear. I think he has a strong case for getting the ticket dismissed.

There is case law that says otherwise known as the Sunderland precedent. However if you parked in that bit you would be OK. It's only if there were very substantive amounts missing that you could claim 2 violates it so much that you could say you were not aware you were still in a CPZ

It was a single yellow line, outside the K&H Oriental supermarket on Sheldon Street. There was a line of cars parked there when I arrived because the supermarket car park was full. I don't know how many got tickets because mine was the only one remaining when I came out of the shop after 10-15 minutes...

I've appealed on six different grounds. They said it can take up to 11 weeks for them to respond, I'll keep you posted.

It was a single yellow line, outside the K&H Oriental supermarket on Sheldon Street. There was a line of cars parked there when I arrived because the supermarket car park was full. I don't know how many got tickets because mine was the only one remaining when I came out of the shop after 10-15 minutes...

I've appealed on six different grounds. They said it can take up to 11 weeks for them to respond, I'll keep you posted.

Good luck, but do bear in mind, that even if your appeal is rejected, it must also be rejected in the correct manner.

The rejection alone may even give you ground for submitting it to adjudication, even though your appeal points may actually be invalid.

And in the absence of signage how are you supposed to know?

There would have been signage at the entrance to the CPZ. Or should there be signs everywhere for everything stating the obvious?

CPZs were introduced some time ago, it should be common sense to exercise caution where there's a yellow line.

There would have been signage at the entrance to the CPZ. Or should there be signs everywhere for everything stating the obvious?

CPZs were introduced some time ago, it should be common sense to exercise caution where there's a yellow line.

As noted further up the thread there are at least three locations where entry to the zone doesn't have adequate signage.