Have the Conservatives fixed our country?

They've only been in power for a year. They had the Libs fouling things up for a few years.

They did however inherit a poison chalice from Blair, Brown, Balls et al to be fair. They had been overspending and ramping up the Public Sector for many, many years.

They've only been in power for a year. They had the Libs fouling things up for a few years.

They did however inherit a poison chalice from Blair, Brown, Balls et al to be fair. They had been overspending and ramping up the Public Sector for many, many years.

Fine, but you must agree they have missed targets. We should be out of forced austerity now instead its 2020/21 or possibly later.

The economy was growing again in the last 2 quarters of 2009/10 under a Labour government.

Fine, but you must agree they have missed targets. We should be out of forced austerity now instead its 2020/21 or possibly later.

The economy was growing again in the last 2 quarters of 2009/10 under a Labour government.

Ha ha - Brilliant. Sorry I am so wrong. The Labourists were brilliant and managed the economy superbly. Especially the gold and the pensions. :help:

Ha ha - Brilliant. Sorry I am so wrong. The Labourists were brilliant and managed the economy superbly. Especially the gold and the pensions. :help:

I didnt say they were brilliant.

You are diverting the question because you know full well the conservatives have failed to fix the country.

---------- Post added 14-06-2016 at 14:42 ----------

And now the SPLIT with EU referendum...the conservtives are in a huge mess.

We asked for minimal austerity. That takes longer.

Public spending has been roughly flat in real terms (corrected for inflation and debt servicing), although there have been some real-terms cuts, they've been rare. The idea always has been to reduce the size of the state as a percentage of GDP primarily via growth, rather than big tax rises or big spending cuts.

The problem is that for various reasons, people either spin or perceive minimal increases in spending as cuts. So they think they've got it tough.

This is not real austerity. Pop over to Greece if you want to see that.

The Conservatives were over-optimistic in their growth forecasts, but when was the last time a government was not?

I don't know what Labour would have done. But since their primary election strategy is to bribe people with their own money it would not have been pretty. That's no way to prioritise public spending.

We asked for minimal austerity. That takes longer.

Public spending has been roughly flat in real terms (corrected for inflation and debt servicing), although there have been some real-terms cuts, they've been rare. The idea always has been to reduce the size of the state as a percentage of GDP primarily via growth, rather than big tax rises or big spending cuts.

The problem is that for various reasons, people either spin or perceive minimal increases in spending as cuts. So they think they've got it tough.

This is not real austerity. Pop over to Greece if you want to see that.

The Conservatives were over-optimistic in their growth forecasts, but when was the last time a government was not?

I don't know what Labour would have done. But since their primary election strategy is to bribe people with their own money it would not have been pretty. That's no way to prioritise public spending.

5 years + wrong. That's not over-optimism, that's gross negligence.

5 years + wrong. That's not over-optimism, that's gross negligence.

They renewed their mandate in 2015. So you can complain that they failed to meet the target set in 2010 to clear the deficit by 2015, but they did half the job then asked the electorate for a 5 year extension to finish it. I don't see a problem with that.

In 2020, they may have done the job, or they may ask for another extension. If we're not happy with their progress, we can kick them out. Simples.

To be fair the tories have only been in power for just over a year.... the 5 years before that was a coalition..

The tories were making all the decisions.

---------- Post added 14-06-2016 at 14:58 ----------

They renewed their mandate in 2015. So you can complain that they failed to meet the target set in 2010 to clear the deficit by 2015, but they did half the job then asked the electorate for a 5 year extension to finish it. I don't see a problem with that.

In 2020, they may have done the job, or they may ask for another extension. If we're not happy with their progress, we can kick them out. Simples.

what progress? theyve missed every political target.