James Dixon & Sons - Sheffield Teapot

Hi, I am new to this site and need help finding out about a Teapot I have. The bottom says...

There first is an 'O' stamped above the info then and indented circle with either a number or a letter in it, and Below that is a Stamp of a Trumpet.

Then..

James Dixon & Sons Sheffield

EPBM

below that is another stamp, A Saunders Sydney (I am presuming this is where it was sold from in Australia, but I cannot be sure).

It's in pretty good shape and has a ring of porcelain on the handle.

If anyone knows anything about this - I would really like some information!! Thanks!

Hi, I am new to this site and need help finding out about a Teapot I have. The bottom says...

James Dixon & Sons Sheffield

EPBM

If anyone knows anything about this - I would really like some information!! Thanks!

EPBM stands for Electro Plated Britannia Metal.

Silver plate was originally produced using copper as the base metal but this was very expensive. In the 1840's, George Elkington developed a commercial method of electroplating. This used a mix of tin, copper, antimony, bismuth and zinc. It was called Britannia Metal and it resembles pewter.

EPBM has not stood the test of time, many old pieces are now in poor condition when compared to EPNS - Electro Plated Nickle Silver.

The trumpet was Dixons trade mark from 1879 until the family stopped running the business in 1976.

Thanks - that is okay for me - do you know the best way of polishing it!!

There are a number of safe silver polishes on the market which are used with a soft cloth. Don't over polish silver as you may erase the decoration and eventually wear the metal thin. Contrary to popular belief, silver doesn't tarnish too quickly unless items are fingered or left in an atmosphere where sulphur is present.

• 6 months later...

The trumpet trade mark is still in use, its used by British Silverware on Windsor St down Attercliffe. The ring of porcelain may be Ivory and it was used to stop the heat from the tea-pot body spreading to the handle so it didnt burn yourself when pouring out your tea. Ebony was used in place of Ivory sometimes but it depended on customer requirements.

The only sure way to stop Silver tarnishing for a great length of time is to place it in an airtight cabinet.Prior to the Industrial revolution silver never tarnished if left in the air and it was the sulphur from burning coal which did the damage and unfortunatley it still happens to-day. Sweat from your finger tips will also tarnish silver and for some reason womens perspiration is more harmful than mens.

Thanks, Lazarus, for the interesting facts. Is there any way of identifying when a set was made?

Apart from the trumpet there is a large letter "L", a "1/2" (which, I believe may be to do with size), "J" "B" "&" "S", "E" "P" "B" "M", "2115" and a hand-scratched "26". These are all on the milk jug - other items carry similar markings.

The whole set is in in a fairly angular "Georgian" style and is heavily chased with straight lines and squares.

Thanks, Lazarus, for the interesting facts. Is there any way of identifying when a set was made?

Apart from the trumpet there is a large letter "L", a "1/2" (which, I believe may be to do with size), "J" "B" "&" "S", "E" "P" "B" "M", "2115" and a hand-scratched "26". These are all on the milk jug - other items carry similar markings.

The whole set is in in a fairly angular "Georgian" style and is heavily chased with straight lines and squares.

This is only a guess but the J.B & S may be J. Billams & Son as I say that is just a guess,that firm has now gone. The E P B M stands for ELECTRO - PLATED BRITANIA METAL The hand scratched mark is another thing entirely, no Holloware Manufacturer scratches their wares by hand, unless its a design or a customer request. The most obvious reasonis that some-one took it to "Uncles" at sometime in its life, it was taken to a Pawnshop and the pawnbroker did the scratch mark but usually they put all the date on. Im 99% sure thats the reason for the No 26, I have an old silver watch and its covered in the same kind of marks, it seemed to have spent more time with "Uncle" than with its owner. I dont really know about the Nos 2115 it could have been a design Number. I hope this helps.

Archived