Driverless Cars Are Here.

It seems that driverless cars are here amongst us.

I was reading a report about driverless cars in which a production model Tesla was driven for 14 miles down a UK motorway, in traffic, without the driver touching the controls.

It seems BMW and Mercedes have similar models available although the setting doesn't allow the cars to be driven hands free.YET.

It must be pretty disturbing to sit in a car where the driver isn't holding on to the steering wheel. It is probably even more disconcerting to be overtaken by one. However it appears that it is perfectly legal to drive such cars on our roads.

So much for not using mobile phones whilst driving.

Would you buy, drive or even sit in a car of this type whilst it was going down a motorway at 70 mph?

It must be pretty disturbing to sit in a car where the driver isn't holding on to the steering wheel. It is probably even more disconcerting to be overtaken by one.

I'll

for the comedy value and relevance ;)

EDIT - snap geared :D

Would you buy, drive or even sit in a car of this type whilst it was going down a motorway at 70 mph?
Not in the UK, the traffic is too dense.

Would probably wait a bit while the kinks are worked out, but yeah I can't wait for the day TBH.

Within a couple of generations people will look back in amazement that anyone was allowed to drive manually.

I was reading a report about driverless cars in which a production model Tesla was driven for 14 miles down a UK motorway, in traffic, without the driver touching the controls.

It seems BMW and Mercedes have similar models available although the setting doesn't allow the cars to be driven hands free.YET.

It must be pretty disturbing to sit in a car where the driver isn't holding on to the steering wheel. It is probably even more disconcerting to be overtaken by one. However it appears that it is perfectly legal to drive such cars on our roads.

Not if I could avoid it. I love driving, in fact I won't even have an automatic car.

How do you figure that it's legal?

---------- Post added 15-06-2016 at 11:47 ----------

Not in the UK, the traffic is too dense.

Compared to where? And why should the traffic density be an issue?

How do you figure that it's legal?

Because I read the article where such a car was driven along a UK motorway. They stated quite clearly that it was legal, it was filmed by the BBC, and I figure they probably know more about it than you do.

Edited by foxy lady

Compared to where?
In my driving experience of approx. 26 years, compared to France, Germany, Belgium, Ireland, Turkey, the US and many more.

I have little doubt that you will now run to Google for stats and bury me under counter-arguments. Let me forestall by declaring right away that I am wholly uninterested in being proven right or wrong.

I've been driving the 600 miles from Sheffield to my home place in France 2 or 3 times a year for 2 decades. The A1 and M1 and local A roads are always far, far busier than the A26, the A4 and national (A) and departmental (B) roads over there, the E10, E25, E40 and E411 in Belgium <etc.>. At any given time, including stupid-o-clock in the morning/night and at rush hour.

The only exception is the A31 stretch between Luxemburg and Nancy. Then again, Paris périphérique aside, that stretch is one of the, if not the, busiest motorway stretch by far, always has been. Unsurprisingly, since all Dutch, Belgians, northern Germans <etc.> transit on it when they travel south towards Spain, Italy, central and southern France.

And why should the traffic density be an issue?
Since it was a personal question, I have given a personal answer, based on the above perception (whether factually averred or not, that's irrelevant) :) Edited by L00b