Driverless Cars Are Here.

I wonder if driverless cars will in time learn to swear at one another? It's a natural progression...We all know how to do it very well.

Well you have a point. Best buy German or Australian in that case. Swearing in Italian just doesn't work.

---------- Post added 15-06-2016 at 12:42 ----------

If automatic cars become commonplace, will people still need to own their own car? Or will they call one up whenever a journey is needed, like a driverless taxi?

Well it would certainly make a difference to city centres. You get out of the car and send it on its way. No parking issues. Just places where a car can pull in whilst you hop aboard and chuck in your purchases.

Our 'not-stolen' car has a so called drivers pack, it has adaptive cruise control with a 'city' function. Basically in stop start traffic, it keeps a set distance from the car in front. It slows down and stops for you and, if moving within 3 or 4 seconds it follows automatically.

I love driving, but that invention is the dogs' bits. Absolutely wonderful to take the stress out of going through Mottram/Glossop frequently or on the mess that is the M1 at rush hour. Would I go full self-driving? Hell yeah. If it deals with those conditions well I will have no qualms.

Because I read the article where such a car was driven along a UK motorway. They stated quite clearly that it was legal, it was filmed by the BBC, and I figure they probably know more about it than you do.

Was it this article?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34444603

About a lorry, not a car.

In Germany, not the UK...

You are right though, it's legal to test driverless systems in the UK, so long as a driver is present and ready to take over immediately.

We have also outlined a clear set of national rules, and a published code of practice for anyone who wants to test driverless vehicles on public roads. You can test anywhere, but you must have insurance, a human driver for emergencies and a roadworthy test vehicle.

---------- Post added 15-06-2016 at 12:46 ----------

In my driving experience of approx. 26 years, compared to France, Germany, Belgium, Ireland, Turkey, the US and many more.

I have little doubt that you will now run to Google for stats and bury me under counter-arguments. Let me forestall by declaring right away that I am wholly uninterested in being proven right or wrong.

So you have an opinion, and you don't care whether it's correct or not.

Well, I'll leave you to your ignorance then.

Would you buy, drive or even sit in a car of this type whilst it was going down a motorway at 70 mph?

Yet we're happy to put the cruise control on and drive down the motorway at 70 MPH with no feet on the pedals. All it takes is a mechanical or electrical glitch and we have no control over the car apart from changing direction and probably smashing into something. Which is what would happen in the event a driverless car fails.

You're probably overstating just how "here" they are though. Road tests on public roads have been happening for ages, haven't the google driverless vehicles clocked up millions of miles now?

But there's nothing on sale, you can't go out and buy one, so, not really here. Just not far away.

I'd use/buy one btw, being able to commute whilst reading a book or having a nap would be nearly as good as working remotely. I think full driverless (as opposed to automated, but with a driver there) is further away though, maybe 5 to 10 years.

So you have an opinion, and you don't care whether it's correct or not.
Indeed I don't, since it is informed by very long-standing experiential practice, and since the question was personal about the use of a driverless car, which I'd be using according to my usual driving patterns and destinations, i.e. the exact same context as my decades' worth of observations.

Well, I'll leave you to your ignorance then.
Please do. I'm happy to reciprocate with leaving you to your seemingly frustrated one-upmanship ;)

You're probably overstating just how "here" they are though. Road tests on public roads have been happening for ages, haven't the google driverless vehicles clocked up millions of miles now?

But there's nothing on sale, you can't go out and buy one, so, not really here. Just not far away.

I'd use/buy one btw, being able to commute whilst reading a book or having a nap would be nearly as good as working remotely. I think full driverless (as opposed to automated, but with a driver there) is further away though, maybe 5 to 10 years.

Tesla P90D £89435 and equivalent of 762bhp. You can buy one today if you like.

To be fair to the OP, they do say that driverless cars are amongst us not that you can go out and buy one. Tesla reckon they are 2-3 years from having them available to buy; whether they are ahead of their competitors remains to be seen. I expect that the technology will be ahead of the legislative framework.

Was it this article?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34444603

About a lorry, not a car.

In Germany, not the UK...

You are right though, it's legal to test driverless systems in the UK, so long as a driver is present and ready to take over immediately.

Not unless Tesla and BMW are selling lorries and passing them off as trucks and the EU has now made the UK part of Germany.

Tesla P90D £89435 and equivalent of 762bhp. You can buy one today if you like.
Is that the same as in that Youtube link I posted with the sleeping driver?

I've certainly seen the same as that on the M1 in recent times, in metallic burgundy.