Driverless Cars Are Here.

I think the Mercedes system requires the driver to grip the steering wheel, something like every 10 seconds which would be completely pointless, you may as well just steer yourself.

or stick two prosthetic hands on the wheel :hihi::hihi::hihi:

It is Amazon and it is nothing like a flying car, it is a drone that can do deliveries.

They have been investigating getting something that can lift up to 20 KG I believe, but I can't find the article that I read that in.

Bring it on, THE JETSONS!

No, it is Google, and it is a flying car. Just looked it up on ..er.. Google.

No, it is Google, and it is a flying car. Just looked it up on ..er.. Google.

It's not Google - it's Larry Page spending his own money on a couple of flying car companies. Describing them as producing prototypes is very far fetched as well - that implies they have something that could be turned into products. What they've produced so far would be better described as research test beds.

Can't wait. That's gonna put the spanner in the works when I tell Excel parking I wasn't the driver of my car. In fact; no one was.:D

Presumably the law would be modified such that the person who instructed the car on where to go was considered to be responsible for it. :thumbsup:

Of course why would it need to park if it can go wherever you tell it. Just send it home, or tell it to drive a loop slowly. Or even just send it outside the city centre to a street without parking restrictions (closer than home presumably).

Our 'not-stolen' car has a so called drivers pack, it has adaptive cruise control with a 'city' function. Basically in stop start traffic, it keeps a set distance from the car in front. It slows down and stops for you and, if moving within 3 or 4 seconds it follows automatically.

I had an E-Class auto a good few years ago.. (53 reg) with an electronic braking system..in traffic you could set it so it would creep slowly forward but the second you took your foot off the accelerator it would gently apply the brakes itself,i only tried it a few times but didn't trust it,i think it is no longer available.My last car.. Prius..also had intelligent park assist as standard which, when set,would park itself without touching the steering wheel...I never used it,didn't trust this either :hihi::hihi:

That's precisely why many modern hybrid/EV cars are configured with a two-tone horn ('beep, I'm here' / 'paaaaaap, f off').

Then again, there have been full EV cars on UK roads for a while now (e.g. Renault Zoe), and I imagine a substantial number of hybrids that will be near-silent when on electric, so insurers should have at least some risk and quoting models.

I have had three hybrids now..a Honda..which are not a full hybrid ie.they will not run on electric only,there is no EV mode the electric motor just helps the engine,but was very good...a Prius..brilliant.. and now a Lexus,both are full hybrids and do have an EV mode, they are near silent even when the engine cracks up at low speed,there is no impact on insurance and all were/are cheaper than the last time I paid ins on the Merc 7 years ago...although this may have a lot to do with web comparison sites,..my renewal with LV is £235/year,f.comp,protected no claims,£200 excess.....also there is no road fund tax to pay because of the emissions, I sold the Merc 7 years ago and it was £220 a year,quite a saving... plus the fuel costs :D.

Not if I could avoid it. I love driving, in fact I won't even have an automatic car.

I wouldn't have anything other than an auto'....I've heard it before "an auto isn't proper driving", all I can say is,they have never had a good one (although I once had an auto Cortina which wasn't so good )..clutch in,clutch out,very tiring in traffic,i used to hate changing gear my left leg would be sore when I got home...first auto I/my parents had was a Vauxhall Victor 101 estate,then VX 490..lots after those very few manuals..ugh..:gag:,my present one has a CVT transmission which motoring journalists don't like..personally I do:D......BUT,..each to there own..:cool:...PS the large truck in my profile is also an auto/semi-auto

Edited by euclid

Was it this article?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34444603

About a lorry, not a car.

In Germany, not the UK...

You are right though, it's legal to test driverless systems in the UK, so long as a driver is present and ready to take over immediately.

---------- Post added 15-06-2016 at 12:46 ----------

So you have an opinion, and you don't care whether it's correct or not.

Well, I'll leave you to your ignorance then.

Is that really necessary?