Being an MP - an easy job?

I have just one question to ask. Has anyone on this forum actually worked with a politician?
In the 90s, I briefly worked (12 months) for the highest possible government executive at the regional level (Préfet de Région), in her cabinet (so as close as it gets, think "the West Wing" at the French regional level, with everybody except the Army at your beck and call, and direct (secured) phone lines to the French PM and to the French Président).

As part of that remit, I frequently worked with several local Députés, Conseillers Régionaux and Conseillers Généraux (French equivalent to MPs and County Councillors).

So:

I used to have pretty much similar thoughts until I went to work with a politician for a year.

I came away with a totally different perspective, intelligent, hardworking (regular 14-15hr days) good communicator, problem solver to name a few of the qualities I observed.

Like all groups of people there are good and bad ( a cross representation of society)

This. Absolutely, and irrespective of the rosette colour.

I like to think I'm hardworking and strong of character. But I've seen what it takes to function at that level (whether politician or top level executive) and no, never for me, not all the gold in the world. Even the worst self-interested type has to have at least some element of vocational will/intent about it, to stick at it and keep taking it year after year.

Edited by L00b

In the light of recent events. Are all MPs to be thought of as the lowest of the low and liars?

I have tremendous respect for MPs of all colours, whether I agree with their policies or not. They put themselves in front of the public, for little financial gain.

They seem to get little respect from the general (and ignorant) public. Quite wrongly in my opinion,

They are considerably compensated. They can claim £140 per week on groceries alone.

It's not an easy job but many also have jobs or run businesses on the side.

---------- Post added 17-06-2016 at 11:33 ----------

Being a crap, self-serving, greasy pole climbing, out of touch parasite is easy. If you had just had your benefits cut for the wrong reason and couldn't pay the rent or leccy could Osborn understand your predicament? Would he care? Could he even look as though he cared? No, no and no. It's not a Tory bashing post - skinner would find it difficult to emphasise with a struggling small business.

Not all are like that, but too many are. The sad loss of jo cox highlights this.

Many care about people and making a difference.

---------- Post added 17-06-2016 at 11:36 ----------

I have just one question to ask. Has anyone on this forum actually worked with a politician?

I used to have pretty much similar thoughts until I went to work with a politician for a year.

I came away with a totally different perspective, intelligent, hardworking (regular 14-15hr days) good communicator, problem solver to name a few of the qualities I observed.

Like all groups of people there are good and bad ( a cross representation of society) but if you do not have first hand of someone, why make malicious comments?

Its pretty much like the stick police get. there are thousands of good hardworking police officers out there who's efforts are besmirched by the sins of past and present high ranking officers.

Yes. They have offices to deal with things. I think most politician's care greatly for the constituents.

Wherever there is power it will attract the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Hence, we are constantly disappointed by the antics of so many MPs. The antics occur when they come to some kind of prominence. Although others syphon off the expenses and remain low profile.

Again as the greasy pole is climbed they learn to obfuscate. That is, they speak without conviction, spout a party line they don't believe and learn to lie, to say anything, to argue without belief or principle.

Also, they are hypocritical in their advice as against their personal behaviour.

They have throughout my life time awarded themselves disproportinate annual pay rises way above what they give to the workers and far above inflation figures. Hence today they have this £70k + expenses, travel, employees, housing subsidies, priviledge.

It's an extension of the class system that still pervades society today despite the so called 'ordinary' people getting to Parliament.

I realise I have to be considerate and sensitive at this time but the death of Jo Cox. The 'rising star' was a former head girl and Cambridge graduate. It's hard when such achievements elevate someone to such a position and we expect them to remain untainted by all that surrounds them.

That is the problem. The move to London and the corridors of power affect too many people adversely and they lose their basic honesty over time. Obviously, I am not suggesting that for the ex- Birstall MP.

However, such backgrounds as hers are the norm for MPs and we see too many who are there for the wrong reasons which Jo Cox clearly was not.

She will be replaced. She was of very high calibre and another will be found. But the question remains is whether others that follow will have the moral fibre, decency and honesty that she showed.

That is why we don't believe, trust or interact with our MPs.

Who thinks they tell the truth? Or give a straight answer to a simple question.

The likes of Cameron, almost aristocratic, certainly ex-Eton, and his Tory mates of George and Boris, same school, actually ruin this country for the majority while rewarding the elite. An elite they belong to. Blair was very similar. Tony Benn certainly was not as he believed in social justice but his son Hilary, is a pale shadow of his father. A diluted version that has lost the moral compass.

Skinner is a man of principle and and fairness. I believe Corbyn and Watson would re-balance society in favour of the disadvantaged millions. But such voices are easily ridiculed and dismissed. They threaten to dismantle the ruling elite. Also, people are bought with promises of reward and not with grand concepts.

Greed gets the vote and gredd makes a politician.

That's the Class system in England today.

Edited by Owethemnowt

You are the one who introduced pay into the equation. I was just pointing out that £75k basic, is pretty good money.

I also think they get paid well considering they dont have to be qualified and can be an MP at the tender age of 18. If they are not happy then the could do as others do and change jobs, but many outside Parliament would not be paid as much. There are also many MP's who also have multiple paid jobs while also serving as an MP, then the many who also get extra pay by serving as ministers or on committees.

All in all and given the qualifications to hold the job they get paid enough. It may not be easy but it is also their choice.

I don't think 'easy job' is an accusation usually thrown at MPs. It's more often venality, self-interest, being out of touch and dishonesty. I think it's become quite difficult to know what most MPs stand for, or whether they stand for anything other than being in office and personal advancement. Or when they do stand for something it benefits only a narrow interest group.

I've been trying to think of MPs who really stand out as having clear and consistent values and it's quite difficult. Dennis Skinner is one, Stella Creasy another. David Davis as well, he is clearly a genuine libertarian, not just when it suits him but consistently. Corbyn as well I suppose.

I don't think that £75k plus generous expense qualifies as "little financial gain". I also despair of the greasy pole climbers who won't give a straight answer to simple questions.

The good MPs are well worth their pay. There are a good many, though, who are not.

A great answer and one I agree with. I'd also like to add too many MP's have no convictions and/or integrity and say what they believe will make them appear on your side, whether they mean it or not. Being an MP is a good, well-paid career and maintaining and progressing in that career seems to be their main objective - not the good of the country and its citizens.

Wherever there is power it will attract the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Hence, we are constantly disappointed by the antics of so many MPs. The antics occur when they come to some kind of prominence. Although others syphon off the expenses and remain low profile.

Again as the greasy pole is climbed they learn to obfuscate. That is, they speak without conviction, spout a party line they don't believe and learn to lie, to say anything, to argue without belief or principle.

Also, they are hypocritical in their advice as against their personal behaviour.

They have throughout my life time awarded themselves disproportinate annual pay rises way above what they give to the workers and far above inflation figures. Hence today they have this £70k + expenses, travel, employees, housing subsidies, priviledge.

It's an extension of the class system that still pervades society today despite the so called 'ordinary' people getting to Parliament.

I realise I have to be considerate and sensitive at this time but the death of Jo Cox. The 'rising star' was a former head girl and Cambridge graduate. It's hard when such achievements elevate someone to such a position and we expect them to remain untainted by all that surrounds them.

That is the problem. The move to London and the corridors of power affect too many people adversely and they lose their basic honesty over time. Obviously, I am not suggesting that for the ex- Birstall MP.

However, such backgrounds as hers are the norm for MPs and we see too many who are there for the wrong reasons which Jo Cox clearly was not.

She will be replaced. She was of very high calibre and another will be found. But the question remains is whether others that follow will have the moral fibre, decency and honesty that she showed.

That is why we don't believe, trust or interact with our MPs.

Who thinks they tell the truth? Or give a straight answer to a simple question.

The likes of Cameron, almost aristocratic, certainly ex-Eton, and his Tory mates of George and Boris, same school, actually ruin this country for the majority while rewarding the elite. An elite they belong to. Blair was very similar. Tony Benn certainly was not as he believed in social justice but his son Hilary, is a pale shadow of his father. A diluted version that has lost the moral compass.

Skinner is a man of principle and and fairness. I believe Corbyn and Watson would re-balance society in favour of the disadvantaged millions. But such voices are easily ridiculed and dismissed. They threaten to dismantle the ruling elite. Also, people are bought with promises of reward and not with grand concepts.

Greed gets the vote and gredd makes a politician.

That's the Class system in England today.

Well said, I agree with all of this but could never have put it across so well.

I like to think I'm hardworking and strong of character. But I've seen what it takes to function at that level (whether politician or top level executive) and no, never for me, not all the gold in the world. Even the worst self-interested type has to have at least some element of vocational will/intent about it, to stick at it and keep taking it year after year.

Or psychopathy (Gordon Brown), megalomania (Tony Blair), a burning desire to enrich the few at the expense of the many (David Cameron) or just the bin bags on expenses (Stephen Milligan).

Or psychopathy (Gordon Brown), megalomania (Tony Blair), a burning desire to enrich the few at the expense of the many (David Cameron) or just the bin bags on expenses (Stephen Milligan).
You're letting your political prejudices get the better of you.

Or breaching your doctor-patient duty of confidentiality, which is far worse ;)