Being an MP - an easy job?

No it didn't - it was typical Grauniad lies, twisting th truth to suit their agenda.

http://order-order.com/2016/06/16/how-remainers-stitched-up-goves-elderly-father/

Gove said his dad was forced to close down by EU fishing policies, when he made a voluntary decision to wind his business up. Anyway, I'm sure the site you linked to is a byword for balance and impartiality :)

And can we stop patronising everyone over the age of 70 by suggesting that none of them know what they are saying and that they are all terribly confused, it's quite offensive.

Gove said his dad was forced to close down by EU fishing policies, when he made a voluntary decision to wind his business up. Anyway, I'm sure the site you linked to is a byword for balance and impartiality :)

And can we stop patronising everyone over the age of 70 by suggesting that none of them know what they are saying and that they are all terribly confused, it's quite offensive.

You seem like a product of today's society. That's not what was said at all.

I thought it was scringeworthy what happened on QT, and like I say all the time, who is going to want to be a MP in future? Hounding family members type behaviour is the worst of today's media/society. I thought Gove handled that QT special quite well - of course it's mainly standard answers on these types of things, but he stood up to it.

Like I've said before, we'll end up with a set of MPs like Hopkins or Trump. People who don't give a toss what people say about them or their families. People with intelligence will choose other paths in life. Umunna is a good example in recent times on the Labour side.

You seem like a product of today's society. That's not what was said at all.

I thought it was scringeworthy what happened on QT, and like I say all the time, who is going to want to be a MP in future? Hounding family members type behaviour is the worst of today's media/society. I thought Gove handled that QT special quite well - of course it's mainly standard answers on these types of things, but he stood up to it.

Like I've said before, we'll end up with a set of MPs like Hopkins or Trump. People who don't give a toss what people say about them or their families. People with intelligence will choose other paths in life. Umunna is a good example in recent times on the Labour side.

Making a single phone call to someone's dad to fact check an assertion is not "hounding" them though is it. If they had hounded him it would be wrong. Saying that journalists shouldn't phone people because they are elderly just seems weird.

Have you ever been interviewed by a journalist. They keep on asking the same question over and over again in slightly different ways, until they get an answer they can use which fits in with their story.

When you say "made a voluntary decision to wind the business up", you mean the business folded due to lack of business. It's the same thing. He could have tried to continue to trade and run up debts, and perhaps borrowed from a pension fund to do it, but then he felt he had to do the right thing.

If Michael Gove has used the example of his father in his speeches, then it's reasonable for journalists to try and contact the father directly to validate this. There are hundreds of news organisations. By raising the issue, Michael Gove has run the risk of his father being contacted by any or all of them. Pretty inconsiderate of the son, in my opinion.

It isn't reasonable for any journalist to twist the father's response to suit the journalist's agenda.

Has being an MP got more dangerous due to the lies they tell and their broken promises?

Or maybe our NHS is not dealing properly with mental health problems; which ever way you look at it, its in the hands of our MPs to put things right.

Making a single phone call to someone's dad to fact check an assertion is not "hounding" them though is it. If they had hounded him it would be wrong. Saying that journalists shouldn't phone people because they are elderly just seems weird.

and again!! Can you not read properly? Do you just read things and make up your own version of what they say?

I knew, you'd pick up on 'hounding'. Knew it! I considered altering that when I previewed it, but thought I'll leave it in :hihi:

Have you ever been interviewed by a journalist. They keep on asking the same question over and over again in slightly different ways, until they get an answer they can use which fits in with their story.

Yes, and let's not forget, that new journalists are all Paxman wannabes, and he's the worst for asking loaded questions.

It's even spread to companies now, which is why I never answer the phone unless it's someone I know. Some kid saying: ''So, Mr Ash, you don't WANT to save money?! :confused:'' :hihi:

When you say "made a voluntary decision to wind the business up", you mean the business folded due to lack of business. It's the same thing. He could have tried to continue to trade and run up debts, and perhaps borrowed from a pension fund to do it, but then he felt he had to do the right thing.

That's all fair enough but Gove Jr. put a spin on it to suit his own agenda. It's not Watergate obviously but it puts a lot of people off.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 16:08 ----------

and again!! Can you not read properly? Do you just read things and make up your own version of what they say?

I knew, you'd pick up on 'hounding'. Knew it! I considered altering that when I previewed it, but thought I'll leave it in :hihi:

Yes, and let's not forget, that new journalists are all Paxman wannabes, and he's the worst for asking loaded questions.

It's even spread to companies now, which is why I never answer the phone unless it's someone I know. Some kid saying: ''So, Mr Ash, you don't WANT to save money?! :confused:'' :hihi:

It is my duty to make you agonise over every word :hihi:

I mean it about the age thing though. The Goves have apparently complained about a journalist phoning "an elderly man" and Ron's link makes reference to him being 79. Why would they mention this if they didn't think it was relevant? The inference is that people of that age won't know what's going on and therefore it's not fair to ask them something.

Anyway, just going to hound my dad by wishing him happy father's day. I doubt I'll get much sense out of him though, he's in his eighties :)

• 1 year later...

Just reading about my MP Andrea Jenkyns, and her now husband MP Jack Lopresti.

They received £25,000+ in donations between them for various 'working holidays' and now they have a Son called Clifford.

Destination of visit: Gibraltar, Bahrain and Conservative Summer Ball, ok for some.