Fewer big weekly shops

The total number of convenience stores in the UK rose by more than a fifth in the five years to the end of 2015 as fewer people do big weekly shops.

My first thoughts are that we are living in a more instant gratification society. But perhaps shops shops are lowering their prices?

With online shopping too, the High Street must be struggling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36546886

Its mainly because people can by the niche ingredients from a large supermarket then the daily stuff from the local small supermarket. A tesco cucumber is the same from a massive megastore or a tiny tesco metro.

For me its the cost. No longer am I held to ransom for a 69p tin of Happy Shopper brand beans because I know the Tesco express price will be the same cheap price as a big supermarket.

My assistant used to shop daily to pick up the reduced bargains to cover him for the next 24 hours, he'd often get a loaf of bread for 5p, which would do his supper, breakfast toast and bread for a sandwich the next day.

The assumption that the price of a tin of beans at different sized branches of the same company name is very wrong. An illusion that the big stores would want you to stop believing in.

Pricing and product range is much more dynamic and linked to demand.

As few have storage space, deliveries are more frequent and linked to shelf space.

Many new stores struggle in the first weeks of opening as demand is assessed.

Many will struggle this week as demand by students falls away leaving bargains for the "natives".

Many "convenience stores" visits in certain areas are driven by alcohol sales which have increased massively because of changing drinking habits.