Car bashed - To claim or not?

I'd avoid contacting the insurance, the car won't be worth more than the excess (realistically). When (if) my stolen Honda comes back I am switching from comprehensive to basic insurance on it. Basically it will not hold any monetary value after the work they have to do on it has been done.

It is not unusual, these days, to find a quote for Third Party Only is higher than for Fully Comp!

one of the risks is that your supposed to inform them about any accidents, might get a bit miffed if not informed and they find out.

but if no other party was involved it might be worth the gamble.

I remember seeing something on a consumer programme, it said if you inform them they are still likely to increase the premium even if you do not claim.

Yea it's a total catch-22, if you inform them you're likely to get stung for doing no wrong.

If you don't and they find out you can get stung.

If it's off to the scrap heap then don't bother at all, if you intend to sort it all out yourself the likewise don't bother at all.

I wouldn't drive around for the next few years with it all bent up and with broken doors, I'm sure the OP wouldn't either.

I heard a garage telling a customer that if the damaged car is more than ten years old it would be scrapped.

So as there is no third party involved,I assume, then either repair it yourself or scrap it .

:)From past experiance with an old'ish car that had a bump, cut your losses and scrap it, why, 1st you may get £50 quid from scrap man not a lot but it's there, 2nd take it off the road tell the DVLA what you have done and claime you more money back, 3rd advertise to sell for parts, 4th you ofter see signs we buy scrap cars try them more money back, last don't tell the insurance nothing wrong with this why, if you have disposed of the car legally and taken it off the road and can prove so the insurance company should give you what's left to run on your insurance or transfer it to your next car, money back, then look for a new car. Just a thought if you tell the insurance you have had a bump there assessor with right it off if the car is that old and the damage is as bad as you say and if it's repaired will you get it MOT'ed again and be happy with it, the main thing you premium for insurance will go through the roof as you will not have another insurance to claime off as if you were in a two car accident. Hope this helps :)

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 10:49 ----------

Just a thing can you remember when the goverment were trying to get older car's off the road because of immisions yours will most likelly fall in to this groupe this is what happened with my Ford Mondeo R REG it went for scrap it was only rust on a sill but MOT fail and the insurance people were not happy, I scraped it over a curb which showed up the sill condition so they would not have it repaired, now have, still a Ford but a lot newer ECO Boost.:)

--------------------------------------