Better behaved young people?

There is a known link between lead in petrol and violent crime. Wonder if something similar extends to further than just violent crime?

The link extended to "unwed" and teen pregnancy rates as well.

Generally it extends to a lack of impulse control, poor planning ability and lower IQ.

So yes, I could see that the continuing reduction in environmental lead might have an influence.

The link extended to "unwed" and teen pregnancy rates as well.

I wasn't aware that they had made that link as well although it doesn't surprise me. Don't suppose you can provide a reference to the articles? Be interesting to have a read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615

And there is a link through to the full PDF (which I only scanned).

---------- Post added 20-06-2016 at 10:54 ----------

Professor Steven Pinker, the psychologist and philosopher wrote recently about improvements in behaviour, not just in young people. It's well worth a read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Better_Angels_of_Our_Nature

I wonder if our perception of violence is at odds with this analysis because of the media.

For example, we have recent genocides and multiple civil wars that have happened recently.

My perception (without having looked for any figures) is that violent crime in the West is decreasing, but I didn't have the same opinion of the world overall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615

And there is a link through to the full PDF (which I only scanned).

---------- Post added 20-06-2016 at 10:54 ----------

I wonder if our perception of violence is at odds with this analysis because of the media.

For example, we have recent genocides and multiple civil wars that have happened recently.

My perception (without having looked for any figures) is that violent crime in the West is decreasing, but I didn't have the same opinion of the world overall.

Cheers I'll have a look at lunchtime.

IME violent crime is certainly reducing, and the media seems to be reporting more on the individual cases, so giving a perception of an increase.

Jason Cowley asks why young people today are - weirdly - so well-behaved.

There is nothing wrong with being well behaved it's a shame that you were not brought up in the 50's then you would know what being brought up well behaved ment, and have respect for your elders you would then gain respect for your self, to much television is copied on to the streets and the younger generation thing it's a good thing to do but remember you will be old one day and need a young care worker to look after you hopeing they are careing to the elderly remember what goes around comes around.

Jason Cowley asks why young people today are - weirdly - so well-behaved.

There is nothing wrong with being well behaved it's a shame that you were not brought up in the 50's then you would know what being brought up well behaved ment, and have respect for your elders you would then gain respect for your self, to much television is copied on to the streets and the younger generation thing it's a good thing to do but remember you will be old one day and need a young care worker to look after you hopeing they are careing to the elderly remember what goes around comes around.

I think you're missing the point entirely.

---------- Post added 20-06-2016 at 11:09 ----------

Maybe a lot of this, pregnacy, violence ect is down to people buying cheap alcohol at the supermarket and drinking it at home?

the REDUCTION in teen pregnancy (a continuation of a long ongoing trend) and in violent crime you think is attributed to drinking at home?

I think you're missing the point entirely.

No not really I can seen what points your trying to make i'm just stating my thoughts on the younger generation compaired to when I was brought up time's change attitudes change but this does not mean respect towards people can not be given.

So don't presume you know what people are thinking.