Train ticket question

If you use the train operator website it will probably be £1 cheaper (as trainline charges).

If it's for Thursday you can have it posted 1st class to you.

---------- Post added 20-06-2016 at 09:58 ----------

To be fair, she said it was unmanned. Collecting from the machine there would be the logical solution, I guess she didn't know she could do that.

I've never travelled from Chapeltown station before, but I've been on the platform (to get to Asda) and I noticed there wasn't a ticket office, I wasn't aware that there were ticket machines.

I need a return ticket, looking online its £20.20 for an anytime same day return. I'll be going quite early, not sure what time I'm coming back.

I've never travelled from Chapeltown station before, but I've been on the platform (to get to Asda) and I noticed there wasn't a ticket office, I wasn't aware that there were ticket machines.

I need a return ticket, looking online its £20.20 for an anytime same day return. I'll be going quite early, not sure what time I'm coming back.

If you are going and coming on the same day then there is no point booking those £11 advance singles. If you are leaving before 10am then unfortunately you cant buy the £20.20 Off Peak return ticket, it goes up to £21.10 for the Anytime Day Return. Also, trains operated by Northern operate a "peak" period in the commuter afternoon rush hour so you cant come back on an Off Peak ticket on a Northern train at those times (think its 3.30-6pm, from memory)

Just buy it at the machine at the station, no advantage at all to buying it before and even with First Class post there is always the risk it may not arrive. Plus the Return tickets listed above are not tied to one specific train like the £11 singles are.

Edited by Hambeast

...Also, trains operated by Northern operate a "peak" period in the commuter afternoon rush hour so you cant come back on an Off Peak ticket on a Northern train at those times (think its 3.30-6pm, from memory)....

Afternoon peak only applies to journeys within a PTE area eg South Yorkshire so does apply to journeys between York and Chapeltown.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I have ordered an anytime return online, and it gave me the option to collect from Chapeltown. Hopefully I might get time to do it tomorrow then I'm sorted :D

---------- Post added 21-06-2016 at 15:24 ----------

So.....the ticket machine at Chapeltown is currently faulty and I can't collect my tickets :mad:

Called rail enquiries and all they could suggest was collecting them from my nearest station, an hours bus ride away in Sheffield. And this was on my way home from Sheffield too, so I wasn't about to waste another 2 hours.

So I gotta turn up in the morning and hope the conductor understands my predicament.