How to buy a short position?

IG.com might be worth a look.

Personally I'd be betting on the FTSE rising sharply (if/when we vote remain) but I'm not sure I've got the stones to place a bet.

Buying a lottery ticket is as far as my gambling career takes me.

I already have a ftse tracker through my SIPP, but I don't think the SIPP will allow me to play currency speculation games.

---------- Post added 21-06-2016 at 13:36 ----------

https://www.etfsecurities.com/retail/uk/en-gb/products/product/etfs-short-eur-long-gbp-urgb-lse

This might work.

---------- Post added 21-06-2016 at 14:01 ----------

Which could be bought here

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?type=chart&display=chart&code=cotn%3AURGB.L&it=letf&timeframe=1m&index=&versus=&linetype=line&Go=Plot+&overlay=&overlay2=&overlay3=&overlay4=&indicator=&indicator2=&indicator3=&indicator4=&chartwidth=500&buylines=on&triggers=on

So the price listed there is in pennies, £50/unit approx.

£10 per transaction charge though. So.. It's gained 4% in the last week.

To cover the £20 transaction fee (buy/sell) then you'd need to have invested £500... And you'd only break even at that point.

It's less risky than a bet, but you could potentially make the same gain with a bet by risking a lot less (although the risk is higher, either win, or lose it all)...

Ladbrokes are offering 2/9, bet £90, get £110 back if we stay.

Ah well, maybe I'll just watch the value of that ETP and see what I could have made :-)

Edited by Cyclone

Does anyone know of a convenient online service to buy a short position in the Eur against GBP?

Ideally one with a minimal transaction fee and entirely online setup...

There are various brokers who'll allow you to do that: IG Index, City Index, CMC Markets and FXCM to name but a view.

I speculate on indices and have accounts with IG and City which I've found perfectly OK.

Best wishes,

S

Guest sibon
Why don't you just buy a load of Euros and sell them back afterwards?

Won't the commercial exchange rates and fees cut into the profit, more than using currency traders?

Won't the commercial exchange rates and fees cut into the profit, more than using currency traders?

Correct.

I've used a Dutch broker in the past, Van Lanschot Bankiers, but they changed hands (if I remember correctly) and the preferable terms I negotiated through one of the nephews Van Lanschot got changed over night.

(Thinking back on it, I wonder if nephew got caught out for handing out trading accounts like they were sweets to buy himself privileges in town...)