Flights from tenerife

Can anyone tell me , that while I am in Tenerife, should I need to get back to East Midlands Airport immediately if I'm needed back at home, will i be able to get a flight back easilly enough? Would I be able to swap my original flight back ticket for an immediate one, or would I have to pay again? Cheers guys:)

Surely it depends who your return ticket is booked with.

Also I don't know what airlines fly between the two, if it's a charter airline you are on then you may struggle, if it's someone like Ryanair you can just go on the Internet/ring them and buy/transfer your ticket which may carry a cost.

What is so urgent that may mean you have to come back? Maybe the question you need to ask is should you go at all?

You can easily try to buy a ticket on the next available flight back out, but just be aware that it may cost you a lot of money. There is no such thing as cheap last minute flights anymore. An example is a Ryanair flight I booked from BCN to MAN two months in advance -£28. The exact same flight a day in advance - £260.

this is going back a good few years, but once when I was in Las Americas - I had been working there - I needed to get back to the UK very quickly. I just walked into a travel agency who's advertisements on the radio I had heard a million times, and asked about flights back to the UK next day. They said where in the UK and I said anywhere, it doesn't matter it's got to be tomorrow, not next week or anything like that, but tomorrow - Manchester is best. They were able to get me a flight to Manchester within 24 hours for very little money. I was amazed how cheap it was, actually.

there's two Tenerife airports, north and south but the south one has by far the most international traffic and the north one near to Tenerife's capital, Santa Cruz, is there primarily to serve the other Canary islands, mainland Spanish cities and nearby major cities like Marracesh and Dakar. You do not see any package tourist oiks at that airport coming in bringing their own sausages and bacon. I think they have one flight to Heathrow from there, and that's it. Whereas from the south airport, you can probably fly to about 20 UK airports.

it was quite a long time ago I did that and maybe as above the situation has changed re last minute flights, but I was able to get home at very short notice not just very inexpensively, but dirt cheaply, although the bigger the UK destination airport is (i.e. Heathrow and Manchester would be a better bet than Bristol or Newcastle) obviously the easier it will be. If there had been no Manchester flight next day, but an East Midlands one only, I would have got that. Why should I care which airport it is.

the basic economics have not changed. If you are an airline that has a flight going out in a few hours that has empty seats on it, you will not like that one little bit - not at all. You're going to want to fill them up.

---------- Post added 22-06-2016 at 07:51 ----------

Surely it depends who your return ticket is booked with.

what makes you think they had to get a return ticket in the first place?

as far as I know Tenerife, being de facto in Europe, is not one of those places where British people must have an onward (and it's an onward ticket, not a return ticket that they need) to satisy immigration requirements.

Edited by blake

this is going back a good few years, but once when I was in Las Americas - I had been working there - I needed to get back to the UK very quickly. I just walked into a travel agency who's advertisements on the radio I had heard a million times, and asked about flights back to the UK next day. They said where in the UK and I said anywhere, it doesn't matter it's got to be tomorrow, not next week or anything like that, but tomorrow - Manchester is best. They were able to get me a flight to Manchester within 24 hours for very little money. I was amazed how cheap it was, actually.

there's two Tenerife airports, north and south but the south one has by far the most international traffic and the north one near to Tenerife's capital, Santa Cruz, is there primarily to serve the other Canary islands, mainland Spanish cities and nearby major cities like Marracesh and Dakar. You do not see any package tourist oiks at that airport coming in bringing their own sausages and bacon. I think they have one flight to Heathrow from there, and that's it. Whereas from the south airport, you can probably fly to about 20 UK airports.

it was quite a long time ago I did that and maybe as above the situation has changed re last minute flights, but I was able to get home at very short notice not just very inexpensively, but dirt cheaply, although the bigger the UK destination airport is (i.e. Heathrow and Manchester would be a better bet than Bristol or Newcastle) obviously the easier it will be. If there had been no Manchester flight next day, but an East Midlands one only, I would have got that. Why should I care which airport it is.

the basic economics have not changed. If you are an airline that has a flight going out in a few hours that has empty seats on it, you will not like that one little bit - not at all. You're going to want to fill them up.

---------- Post added 22-06-2016 at 07:51 ----------

what makes you think they had to get a return ticket in the first place?

as far as I know Tenerife, being de facto in Europe, is not one of those places where British people must have an onward (and it's an onward ticket, not a return ticket that they need) to satisy immigration requirements.

She did ask if it would be possible to swap her return ticket for an immediate one and if it would cost her extra.

um OK :)

yes, it does cost extra to change flight and that is one of the things that has changed with flight bookings over the years. It varies. Some of them you can't change date at all. In the past about the equivalent of $100 USD was about the average, and I remember paying that, $100 USD in cash in Italian lira at an Alitalia check in desk once, but now it can be much higher than that. I think my last international long-haul flight was £150 to change and also they might charge extra on top of that too if the rebooked flight is during a busy period like Christmas or during school holidays. This is one of the things you need to check by phone when you book, if you think there is a chance you might have to bring a flight forward, or bring it back. Once about 12 years ago, I had a Malaysian Airlines flight that was FREE to change (subject to availability). It was really funny. I just walked into the airlines offices in Kuala Lumpur and said hey I don't feel like flying out on Wednesday. Can we make it Friday? They said certainly sir, and I didn't have to pay a penny. I think it is very difficult if not impossible to do that these days. It was unusual even then. Usually the very least you could expect to pay to change date was about £50.

if the OP can change date on their return ticket, but it costs a lot of money, then it might be cheaper to just abandon the flight and get a new one from scratch.

the OP has a return ticket, but Tenerife is a place where somebody can fly in on a one-way ticket if they want to, like Paris or Berlin. For nearly all places outside Europe, British tourists can't fly in on a one-way ticket, they need an onward ticket, otherwise they are not supposed be allowed in to the country and the airline probably won't even allow them on the plane in the first place.