Flights from tenerife

um OK :)

yes, it does cost extra to change flight and that is one of the things that has changed with flight bookings over the years. It varies. Some of them you can't change date at all. In the past about the equivalent of $100 USD was about the average, and I remember paying that, $100 USD in cash in Italian lira at an Alitalia check in desk once, but now it can be much higher than that. I think my last international long-haul flight was £150 to change and also they might charge extra on top of that too if the rebooked flight is during a busy period like Christmas or during school holidays. This is one of the things you need to check by phone when you book, if you think there is a chance you might have to bring a flight forward, or bring it back. Once about 12 years ago, I had a Malaysian Airlines flight that was FREE to change (subject to availability). It was really funny. I just walked into the airlines offices in Kuala Lumpur and said hey I don't feel like flying out on Wednesday. Can we make it Friday? They said certainly sir, and I didn't have to pay a penny. I think it is very difficult if not impossible to do that these days. It was unusual even then. Usually the very least you could expect to pay to change date was about £50.

if the OP can change date on their return ticket, but it costs a lot of money, then it might be cheaper to just abandon the flight and get a new one from scratch.

the OP has a return ticket, but Tenerife is a place where somebody can fly in on a one-way ticket if they want to, like Paris or Berlin. For nearly all places outside Europe, British tourists can't fly in on a one-way ticket, they need an onward ticket, otherwise they are not supposed be allowed in to the country and the airline probably won't even allow them on the plane in the first place.

Depends on the type of ticket.

I've flown to India many times on business on a single ticket and then got a ticket home whilst there. That was 10 years ago at least, so maybe things have changed.

it's not what kind of plane ticket you have whether it's business or economy, but what kind of visa it is. You may have been exempted from the need to have an onward ticket because you were travelling not an ordinary tourist visa, but a business/employment visa. I don't know anything about India, never been there, but at one time in Thailand - which unlike India is a visa-exempt country where you don't need to get a visa in advance - if you DID have a visa in advance, then you didn't need to show an onward ticket at the departing UK airport check in. However I think that may have recently changed, and now even when you do get a Thai tourist visa in advance, you now need to show an onward ticket when applying for a Thai visa at a UK Thai embassy or consulate. With the Philippines, also a visa-exempt country, you always had to have an onward ticket even if you had a tourist visa.

but in the Philippines, even as a foreigner, with at least one kind of visa-exempt status known as the Balikbayan, you don't need an onward ticket.

it is complicated but as a general rule of thumb, when travelling outside Europe, with some exceptions, you're going to need an onward ticket.