Can someone please explain why..

You can breathe a sigh of relief, it's nothing to do with the referendum. :)

Why is it that when I switch my electric oven off at home, it sits there for up to half an hour, and then decides (all of it's own accord) to switch the fan on for ten minutes or so. It's very annoying. I could maybe (possibly) understand if the fan remained on for a little while immediately after turning it off, but why after half hour or so?

For me, the logic would be, when I switch it off, I don't want any functions on. Nothing, nada. It's off! It's gonna cool down all by itself.

Is there something I'm missing here?

You've not turned it off. Obvious I know.

You told it to turn off, and it's decided that it's going to accede to your wishes, but it'll occasionally just stir the air up to assert it's microprocessor based independence and assert it's own independence because despite you telling it its turned off, it's still attached to the mains and it's going to make sure it's ready to rise up and slaughter you in your bed by burning the house down when the Rise of Machine Overlords is nigh (in about 30 years).

Alternatively it could just be the cooldown cycle making sure that the hot air is flushed out properly so you don't get bacteria building up. Ovens get food splashes, so when they cooldown, it saves as much heat as possible in the oven in case you decide that you are going to bake another loaf/cake/poodle/whatever. Finally though when it's cooled to the point that bacteria can grow and make the oven smelly and rancid, it suddenly blows cool air through to cool as fast as possible to ambient to deny them their breeding time because they don't want them competeing with the Rise of the Machines.

Smart things ovens. Watch them carefully.

You've not turned it off. Obvious I know.

You told it to turn off, and it's decided that it's going to accede to your wishes, but it'll occasionally just stir the air up to assert it's microprocessor based independence and assert it's own independence because despite you telling it its turned off, it's still attached to the mains and it's going to make sure it's ready to rise up and slaughter you in your bed by burning the house down when the Rise of Machine Overlords is nigh (in about 30 years).

Alternatively it could just be the cooldown cycle making sure that the hot air is flushed out properly so you don't get bacteria building up. Ovens get food splashes, so when they cooldown, it saves as much heat as possible in the oven in case you decide that you are going to bake another loaf/cake/poodle/whatever. Finally though when it's cooled to the point that bacteria can grow and make the oven smelly and rancid, it suddenly blows cool air through to cool as fast as possible to ambient to deny them their breeding time because they don't want them competeing with the Rise of the Machines.

Smart things ovens. Watch them carefully.

Problem is, the main switch to turn it off completely is behind the oven itself, and would mean dragging it out of it's nesting place and turning it off there. (assuming anyone would tackle a hot oven) Which is a bit of overkill.

Really? Is that the reason?...To prevent bacteria growth?...I thought it was just a design thing specially adapted to annoy me.

Problem is, the main switch to turn it off completely is behind the oven itself, and would mean dragging it out of it's nesting place and turning it off there. (assuming anyone would tackle a hot oven) Which is a bit of overkill.

Really? Is that the reason?...To prevent bacteria growth?...I thought it was just a design thing specially adapted to annoy me.

Ignore him Pete!!

It most deifinately is designed just to annoy you! Mine does it too :hihi:

I'm with Obelix on this one. The oven is obviously self-aware and connected up to Skynet.

There's most probably a T-800 hiding in the garden shed ... likely to be a liquid-metal T-1000 shapeshifter skulking about too.

What Pete really needs to do is to pull out the oven's CPU before the time travel stuff kicks off. :o

Ignore him Pete!!

It most deifinately is designed just to annoy you! Mine does it too :hihi:

I have to say..."It works"....:)

---------- Post added 22-06-2016 at 11:23 ----------

I'm with Obelix on this one. The oven is obviously self-aware and connected up to Skynet.

There's most probably a T-800 hiding in the garden shed ... likely to be a liquid-metal T-1000 shapeshifter skulking about too.

What Pete really needs to do is to pull out the oven's CPU before the time travel stuff kicks off. :o

Those CPU's are a nightmare to retrieve.

Oh and the shape shifter in the shed. Would it be in the shape of a garden hoe?...If that's the case I've definitely got one in there. :hihi:

Besides Obelix' logical explanation and that of Alcoblog (which is equally plausible) it is in my opinion the case that you have a German oven, Germans don't like dinner parties like the Brits do, so all their ovens shipped to the UK have an inbuilt timer to ensure the oven blows hot air into your kitchen just as you sit down for the main course.

Vote LEAVE!

Besides Obelix' logical explanation and that of Alcoblog (which is equally plausible) it is in my opinion the case that you have a German oven, Germans don't like dinner parties like the Brits do, so all their ovens shipped to the UK have an inbuilt timer to ensure the oven blows hot air into your kitchen just as you sit down for the main course.

Vote LEAVE!

Love the subtle wording there! ;)

I'm suprised at this, I didn't realise ovens could be so manipulative and crafty. I've got a fairly recent Bosch oven and mine doesn't do this. However it sounds like it's been wired up wrong.

You see, when you turn your oven 'off', you are actually turning it 'on'... The motion of turning it 'off' wakes up the 'standby and turn off mode' which then comes on and takes over and governs the use of the oven.

What you need to do is turn the oven 'off' by actually turning it 'on', thereby cancelling the take over ability of the 'standby and turn off mode'. So basically, just leave it on all the time and this issue will no longer happen. :thumbsup: