Was Mrs Thatcher a "Monster"?

Coal that we cannot burn.

Actually, that was down to EU regulations. Now can we ignore them and burn all this sulphourous coal? Who cares about smog and acid rain?

Yes we can burn it turn it to coke; Coke is a fuel with few impurities and a high carbon content, usually made from coal.

Many mines were closed with years of coal seams still available, but that sadly is now consigned to the history books.

Try to remember men worked in water up to waist high to get coal, and in districts little over 4ft high & less and then on the wall (coal face); miners best set of men I have ever worked with .

Thatcher destroyed a great industry, and just made rich people richer in short she was "evil" as well as a moster.

There's no such thing as society ....... says it all about Thatcher.

The continuing 'snouts in the trough' seen across society is a result of the selfishness and greed that Thatcher promoted. The 'fat cats' a club of leading businessmen, bankers, all at the top, had its effect on society as it filtered down.

We even have TV programs that show us the icons of greed; LorSugah, the Dragons, tossing down £100k as if it were loose change. It is to them. Such overt profligacy, 'I'll buy one for my kids' says Peter, as he shells out a mere £45k on a play house, is obscene. Yet, we've been conditioned not to bat an eye. Even to their arrogance, rudeness and and disdain.

Meanwhile kids are wearing hand me downs as parents struggle far away from the leafy suburbs of Surrey.

But the greed is encouraged: TV shows us Homes in the Country - Jon and Jill have £600k to spend on a country estate. Meanwhile, on the Manor Jen [single parent] has £6 to feed her 3 kids for a week.

The attitude that you were alone and responsible for yourself gave us the failed care in the community, the rise of a homeless under class, a massively increased number of people living in poverty, the highest personal debt ever known, graduates in debt as students, a depressed, alcoholic, drug addicted problem across society, increased criminality, murders on our doorstep, and an immigration issue that has swamped the country. The latter being due to the greed of employers seeking to reduce costs, exploit workers [sports Direct] and show no concern for the 'society' that results.

Is society actually better than it was pre-Thatcher?

No. Sure, Chris Evans, 2 jobs, can spend £12m on a single car to add to his immense collection at the same time as cars are being clamped in S5 because the owners can't afford the tax. Is that fair? Is that the society we want? Such disproportionate wealth where the few can buy everything and the majority struggle to kep the electric on, pay for a holiday, treat the kids.

Hence, the desperation of the leave vote. People have become desperate because politicians have failed them. Thatcher made sweeping changes for the worse from which the country has never recovered. And she's the model so many follow.

Even the face of Labour changed as the rewarding of indivuals by inducements [ selling off the council houses] showed them that 'Thatcherism' succeeded. Appeal to the selfish nature and you will buy the vote.

The damage done by Thatcher is with us in every aspect of our daily lives. Every abandoned industrial unit stands as a monument to her. Every family in poverty, every homeless person, under paid nurse, life wasted on benefits ...... the depressed and the desperate are all a result of there being ......

....no such thing as society.

Edited by Owethemnowt

There's no such thing as society ....... says it all about Thatcher.

The continuing 'snouts in the trough' seen across society is a result of the selfishness and greed that Thatcher promoted. The 'fat cats' a club of leading businessmen, bankers, all at the top, had its effect on society as it filtered down.

We even have TV programs that show us the icons of greed; LorSugah, the Dragons, tossing down £100k as if it were loose change. It is to them. Such overt profligacy, 'I'll buy one for my kids' says Peter, as he shells out a mere £45k on a play house, is obscene. Yet, we've been conditioned not to bat an eye.

Meanwhile kids are wearing hand me downs as perents struggle far away from the leafy suburbs of Surrey.

But the greed is encouraged: TV shows us Homes in the country - Jon and Jill have £600k to spend on a country estate. Meanwhile, on the Manor Jen has £6 to feed her 3 kids for a week.

The attitude that you were alone and responsible for yourself gave us the failed care in the community, the rise of a homeless under class, a massively increased number of people living in poverty, the highest personal debt ever known, graduates in debt as students, a depressed, alcoholic, drug addicted problem across society and an immigration issue that has swamped the country. The latter being due to the greed of employers seeking to reduce costs, exploit workers [sports Direct]and show no concern for the 'society' that results.

Is society actually better than it was pre-Thatcher?

No. Sure, Chris Evans can spend £12m on a single car to add to his immense collection at the same time as car's are being clamped in S5 because the owners can't afford the tax. Is that fair? Is that the society we want? Such disproportionate wealth where the few can buy everything and the majority struggle to kep the electric on, pay for a holiday, treat the kids.

Hence the desperation of the leave vote. People have become desperate because politicians have failed them. Thatcher made sweeping changes for the worse from which the country has never recovered.

Even the face of Labour changed as the rewarding of indivuals by inducements [ selling off the council houses] showed them that 'Thatcherism' succeeded. Appeal to the selfish nature and you will buy the vote.

The damage done by Thatcher is with us in every aspect of our daily lives. Every abandoned industrial unit stands as a monument to her. Every family in poverty, every homeless person, under paid nurse, life wasted on benefits ...... the depressed and the desperate are all a result of there being ......

....no such thing as society.

You're entitled to have different politics than then 1980's Conservatives.

Do you know the whole quote by the way?

They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations, because there is no such thing as an entitlement unless someone has first met an obligation"

As for bigger companies, well I worked for Yorkshire Water which is possibly the biggest environmental stakeholder in Yorkshire and the staff are in no doubt at all about the importance of strict adherence to regulations be they environmental or water quality,in fact the internal standards are generally higher than required by regulators to provide a built in buffer, absolutely no chance of these standards being reduced.

Of course there is. You admit that the staff are aware of the importance of adherence to regulations and the fact that to ensure that adhere to these regulations, they hold themselves to higher standards.

What of these regulations were relaxed, do you not think YW would relax their standards?

You're entitled to have different politics than then 1980's Conservatives.

Do you know the whole quote by the way?

I do know the whole quote, where and when it was made. The context. It seems you don't.

I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society.

Is the part you chose to forget.

I do know the whole quote, where and when it was made. The context. It seems you don't.

I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society.

Is the part you chose to forget.

There was such a thing as society when it was required to stump up the cash for her funeral though.

So much for the wonders of 'Compulsory Competitive Tendering' and 'Best Value' :suspect:

Well I am the poster from the other thread who called Thatcher a Monster. I would not change that view if I was paid a ton of money. I left England as a fully skilled tradesman in 1981 because I was seeing and feeling the despair that working class Britons were suffering. I got out in time, but a lot of my mates did not and were struggling to stay in work, even though they were tradesmen. She showed her true colours long before she became Prime Minister, when as Minister of Education she stopped the free school milk. Ironically she was revered abroad, I used to hear words, like " she is one tough lady" etc, and I would cringe and almost got to blows a few times over those attitudes and praises.