Was Mrs Thatcher a "Monster"?

Well I am the poster from the other thread who called Thatcher a Monster. I would not change that view if I was paid a ton of money. I left England as a fully skilled tradesman in 1981

So you were only here a couple of years while she was in power?

She showed her true colours long before she became Prime Minister, when as Minister of Education she stopped the free school milk.

Ah, that old chestnut. Perhaps you should read this:

BBC News: The truth about Thatcher Thatcher milk snatcher

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2000/uk_confidential/1095121.stm

Well done Thatch, free school milk was awful.

The teachers left it in the sun / by a radiator / anywhere except someplace cool. It was disgusting.

I was always offered milk in primaries in the 70s, what was the deal with secondary schools? Did pupils actually want or drink it? They certainly didn't when I was there.

It is what she didn't do to fill the void left by closing the pits that made me dislike and disrespect her.

I can't speak for every community, but I worked in a few mechanical / precision engineering companies which had lots of ex-miners who'd been trained and given employment there.

I can't speak for every community, but I worked in a few mechanical / precision engineering companies which had lots of ex-miners who'd been trained and given employment there.

Maybe, but are you referring to the ones already with mechanical / electrical skills? I'm on about the unskilled manual workers who had nowhere else to go.

Maybe, but are you referring to the ones already with mechanical / electrical skills? I'm on about the unskilled manual workers who had nowhere else to go.

Nope, they were all unskilled. Some became labourers, others drivers, machine operators, lathe operators, setters and so on.

The ones I worked with spoke with fond memories of the pits, but not one of them wanted to go back.