Is it time for Corbyn to resign.

Beeb is now reporting that half the shadow cabinet are resigning to force JC out.

And Corbyn said yesterday that he would stand for re-election.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36632956

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-says-he-will-stand-in-any-labour-leadership-contest_uk_576e6285e4b0d2571149ab14

The Labour Party have discovered the self destruct button.

Edited by foxy lady

They seem to want Corbyn to resign for the wrong reason. Even if Corbyn had shown more enthusiasm during the remain campaign, it would not have made any difference to the outcome of the referendum because more Labour voters wanted the UK to leave the EU. I think there was only about 15 Labour MPs who supported the UK to leave the EU, so the Labour party has bigger problems than just Corbyn.

Spot on the money....

Milliband came across as a snivveling child & Corbyn comes across as someone who wanted to be a hippy but wasn't quite brave enough to go the whole hog

Corbyn has been completely lacklustre, faffing about with internal Labour Party issues rather than taking on the Tories in any meaningful sense. God knows who would replace him though, they are not exactly packed with calibre.

God knows who would replace him though, they are not exactly packed with calibre.

I'd imagine the pressure on Dan Jarvis to stand is enormous. I don't see anyone else having anything near his potential popularity. The three others that stood last year when Corbyn was elected are hopeless.

I'd imagine the pressure on Dan Jarvis to stand is enormous. I don't see anyone else having anything near his potential popularity. The three others that stood last year when Corbyn was elected are hopeless.

But realistically they only mention Jarvis because he's a) from Barnsley which will play well with some traditional supporters, and b) he used to be in the army which will appeal to people who get excited by that sort of thing. I'm not sure what his political vision and ability are meant to be.

According to analyses of the polling Labour persuaded two-thirds of its supporters to vote remain.

So this idea that the Brexit vote is all Corbyn's fault is bunkum.

Cameron chose the timing of the referendum, and he is/was the Prime Minister.

---------- Post added 26-06-2016 at 13:23 ----------

I think David Lammy could through his hat in the ring

He may do, however after reading his call for a second EU referendum in the Observer this morning, I suspect many will throw his hat back at him:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2016/jun/26/second-referendum-consequences-brexit-grave

Well it would seem that matters have now come to a head. Half the shadow cabinet have resigned and Corbyn faces a vote of no confidence whhich he is likely to lose.

But there is worse. Corbyn says he will stand in any campaign to elect a new leader and McDonall has said he will back him. As the Labour Party itself is firmly behind Corbyn he will probably get re-elected.

So there will once again be a Parliamentary Labour Party led by a leader who the MPs have no confidence in. I'm struggling here to see any alternative for those MPs but to quit the party and form a new one. New Labour is a catchy name. It would be a big party too. Probably containing the MPs who pledged no confidence in Corbyn as leader.

It has been an interesting week. Next weeks looks more interesting still.

According to analyses of the polling Labour persuaded two-thirds of its supporters to vote remain.

So this idea that the Brexit vote is all Corbyn's fault is bunkum.

Cameron chose the timing of the referendum, and he is/was the Prime Minister.

These are dirty figures, but..

From the 2015 GE, 128,232 votes were cast in Sheffield for Labour across the different wards, with an electorate of 434,497. However the average turnout across the wards was 64%, so ~278,000 votes were cast of which Labour accrued 46%.

From the referendum results, 130,735 voted to remain, with 266,951 votes cast. The turnout was 67.34%, which gives an electorate of 354,137 of which 49% voted remain.

If Labour had persuaded two thirds of its support in Sheffield to vote remain, then that works out as 81,000 of the remain vote was from Labour if that 46% from 2015 is still valid, which makes 30% of all votes cast in the referendum in Sheffield.

But realistically they only mention Jarvis because he's a) from Barnsley which will play well with some traditional supporters, and b) he used to be in the army which will appeal to people who get excited by that sort of thing. I'm not sure what his political vision and ability are meant to be.

I don't really think it matters who they name. The rabid mob that have taken over the Labour Party will nominate Corbyn again. We are back in 1970s and Militant territory again.