Is it time for Corbyn to resign.

Really?

JC sacked a popular MP and was apparantly caught on the hop when a few ministers followed. Like almost all of them. How many is it now the BBC appears to have given up counting. 20? 25? 35? It was farcical after the first seven left, now it's ludicrous

Can you think of any situation where the disdain for the leader is such that so many of the shadow cabinet left in a weekend? I can't. The only person to be ashamed here is Corbyn for not realising he's simply not got the confidence at all of the PLP, and despite how much support he has, if he stands again, and gets elected, the PLP will boot him again because they know, without a shadow of a doubt that Corbyn will never win them an election.

So ashamed yes - he should be if he's going to deny this country effectual Opposition at a time when it is needed so desperately that you'd have to go back to the Winter of Discontent, if not WW2 and he's pigging about trying to hold on to some hippy dream that vanished in the 1970's.

Edit: It's 43 resignations. And one sacking. I didnt even think that'd be possible. Does he have a revolving door on his office? Or are they just asking to be promoted so they can have the pleasure of resigning like everyone else...

According to something I read in one of todays papers (I read Times, Express &Guardian at the gym, so not sure which) Benn was "outed" to Corbyn's team as plotting to overthrow him. When confonted, he denied plotting, but confirmed he had no confidence, and was therefore sacked. I don't know how true that is, but it puts a slightly different slant on it, as opposed to him just being sacked.

I liked Cameron's joke in parliament today. As he welcomed a new labour member (I didn't catch her name) he suggested that she keep her mobile switched on in case she's called to the shadow front bench. And he also said "...and I though I'd had a bad week." Nothing like a bit of gallows humour to cheer everyone up.

Cameron is like Banquo's ghost. He's there on stage, but he doesn't live.

If Belgium can manage to survive 589 days without a government then Britain should manage 200.

I think Corbyn is onto a huge vote-winner here. Don't underestimate the anger of voters with the establishment, it already cost us the referendum. The general public couldn't give a flying monkey about the PLP or whoever is in the cabinet, as pointed out to me frequently, the British voters don't vote for their MP, they vote for the person they think should lead the country.

I happen to think British voters vote against the person they think shouldn't lead the country, but that is up for debate.

I think it's difficult to say. It is clear that the PLP and the Labour Party membership have very different ideas about what the Labour Party should be. But it's not so clear where the e!ectorate fit in that spectrum. JC might get re-elected as leader (assuming someone stands against him and so he needs to compete), and assuming he gets enough support to stand this time round (assuming he needs support from the PLP to stand again).

But if he does stay in post, has he got enough support in the country to actually win a general election. In comparison to new labour, he will lose mondeo man or whoever it was, the swing voters, as I can't see many people who have either toyed with or voted for conservative ever being prepared to vote for a Corbyn led labour party. His only hope would be to reconnect with old labour supporters who gave up voting following the rise of new labour. Either that or brand new voters.

Then there is the issue of digruntled labour voters. The ones who ignored the official Labour line and actually voted for brexit. What will they do in a general election? Will they find a new comfortable home in another party (UKIP?), or when push comes to shove in a general election will they revert to what they have always done and vote Labour.

Really?

JC sacked a popular MP and was apparantly caught on the hop when a few ministers followed.

Caught on the hop? This was a surprise to exactly no-one.

He sacked Benn for plotting a coup, this wave of resignations is the coup in action. This was all telegraphed quite clearly in mid June.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/13/labour-rebels-hope-to-topple-jeremy-corbyn-in-24-hour-blitz-afte/

Labour rebels believe they can topple Jeremy Corbyn after the EU referendum in a 24-hour blitz by jumping on a media storm of his own making.

Moderate MPs who believe Mr Corbyn can never win back power think his failure to close down public rows which flare up and dominate the news channels leaves him vulnerable.

By fanning the flames with front bench resignations and public criticism they think the signatures needed to trigger a leadership race can be gathered within a day.

I think it's difficult to say. It is clear that the PLP and the Labour Party membership have very different ideas about what the Labour Party should be. But it's not so clear where the e!ectorate fit in that spectrum. JC might get re-elected as leader (assuming someone stands against him and so he needs to compete), and assuming he gets enough support to stand this time round (assuming he needs support from the PLP to stand again).

But if he does stay in post, has he got enough support in the country to actually win a general election. In comparison to new labour, he will lose mondeo man or whoever it was, the swing voters, as I can't see many people who have either toyed with or voted for conservative ever being prepared to vote for a Corbyn led labour party. His only hope would be to reconnect with old labour supporters who gave up voting following the rise of new labour. Either that or brand new voters.

Then there is the issue of digruntled labour voters. The ones who ignored the official Labour line and actually voted for brexit. What will they do in a general election? Will they find a new comfortable home in another party (UKIP?), or when push comes to shove in a general election will they revert to what they have always done and vote Labour.

I think his opponents in the PLP will stand just one candidate against him this time in a bid to get just over 50% of the votes

According to political commentator Michael Savage:

Current Lab leadership options seem to be: Tom Watson/Angela Eagle to unite party through election, or Yvette Cooper as credible PM.

and George Eaton:

Pressure growing on Tom Watson, from all wings of Labour, to be the challenger to Corbyn.

Corbyn will stand again. And win.

That seems very likely.

He's going to have to purge the moderate from the PLP. It's him or them and he intends it to be him.

He's destroying the party.

The party's traditional base is already looking elsewhere.

You can't win an election just on the votes of public sector union members.