The consequence thread (Brexit)

pollute the thread ? you really are bitter
Not in the least. Quite the contrary as it happens: rubbing my hands with glee at how Cameron check-mated Johnson and Gove. Neither of them will put the article 50 declaration in. Gove's recent tweet that he was 'supporting Johnson's bid for the premiership' is Gove's knife in Boris' back.

They said whatever the result even if Remain wins by just one vote they would honour it and it would put the matter to bed and the eurosceptic back bench MP's would stop complaining.

that was a bit of a fantasy, something over a 60-40 split would have put the matter to bed at least for the majority of them, anything less and the eurosceptic wing would have been at least as bad if not worse than ever

that was a bit of a fantasy, something over a 60-40 split would have put the matter to bed at least for the majority of them, anything less and the eurosceptic wing would have been at least as bad if not worse than ever

But they would have had a democratic vote on it. He gambled and lost spectacularly.

Not in the least. Quite the contrary as it happens: rubbing my hands with glee at how Cameron check-mated Johnson and Gove. Neither of them will put the article 50 declaration in. Gove's recent tweet that he was 'supporting Johnson's bid for the premiership' is Gove's knife in Boris' back.

but Cameron did not check mate Johnson and Gove . the uk checkmated Cameron

Living in Spain I know a lot of ex pats,none claim any benefits and contribute big style to the country,without us Spain would be a lot worse off.

And where do you think most benefits in the UK go? Garanteed they don't go to EU nationals!

i can see this running to 100's of pages again :(

Nearly as long as my dead wasp thread, but only half the views.

Perhaps this one should be put in 'Im Bored' too? Right place for it, as well as all the other politics threads to boot. ;)

but Cameron did not check mate Johnson and Gove . the uk checkmated Cameron
Cameron gambled and lost with the Eurosceptic branch of the Tories by giving the referendum. But with an early exit and leaving the responsibility of the Article 50 declaration to the next PM, he's turned the Tory leadership position into the most lethally-poisoned chalice there is. Boris is finished if he takes it, whatever he does with it. Gove, by supporting Boris' bid publicly, just said "I don't want the job". May is too smart to fall for it, just like Gove. Who's left? Edited by L00b

And where do you think most benefits in the UK go? Garanteed they don't go to EU nationals!

They are allowed to send them back to there home countries though. I think they changed the rules here as well now but not up to date on that legislation.

I lived in Spain for 4 years. You had to put so much into the system or have been there a certain length of time to claim any benefits. At the time they also paid or offered Chinese nationals around 5k euros to move there (Gran Canaria). I never once saw an unemployed Chinese person there so it was probably great for the economy.

You missed his point. You don't know ex-pats, you know immigrants from the UK, in fact, you are one. he is right when he points out that the British have a very handy double standard going on there.

---------- Post added 25-06-2016 at 23:35 ----------

Weird, I haven't seen anything vengeful or hostile from the Commission, I have heard Juncker say that the UK wanted this and now needs to hurry with the negotiations because the economy needs clarity as soon as possible.

Let me assure you, the longer this process takes, the more major foreign investors in the UK are going to look around for other options. There is not a single businessman/woman in the world that likes uncertainty.

By the way, did you hear what Jonathan Hill, UK Commissioner to the EU had to say?

Odd that, isn't it? He won't be alone in realising that.

Then you are not watching Juncker closely enough. The drunken dog wants revenge and has been very clear he want's to 'punish' us.

So cut the commision out and deal with the nations. They all need us for something.

We can show the peoples of Europe that the scum they let rule over them have neither our nor our interests at heart - only their own.