The consequence thread (Brexit)

have you not looked around firvale :roll::hihi:

No I haven't, but the overal picture for the uk will still apply. How are you so sure they (whoever they are) claim benefits?

Edited by Kdv1

Who is going to have the nuts to do it?
No-one (well, no politician with 2 brain cells to rub together). Because they'd commit political hara-kiri whether they send the Art.50 letter to Brussels - or don't send it indeed

That's why I called it Cameron's check-mate: he may carry the referendum can down in history...but he won't be the PM who actually took the UK out.

Edited by L00b

A GE could be called much sooner, for instance if the Tories can't agree on leadership to replace Cameron. I wouldn't put it past Cameron to actually call it, as a twist of the knife ;)

About 30 pages back we considered the fixed term parliaments act, he cant call one on a whim

and, in any case, a general election wouldn't do anything to further the cause of moving us to the exit for months during which the economy would nose dive.

Who is going to have the nuts to do it?

Boris Johnson, Feb 2016:

"It is also true that the single market is of considerable value to many UK companies and consumers, and that leaving would cause at least some business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for several years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems of this country – low skills, low social mobility, low investment etc – that have nothing to do with Europe."

It's like giving a clown a crate of dynamite

---------- Post added 26-06-2016 at 00:09 ----------

A way back for the LibDems. Who'd have predicted this last week?

Well it's a no brainer - half of the country will support this. If only they would have quit the coalition over the tuition fees they would have been a major player already.

Then you are not watching Juncker closely enough. The drunken dog wants revenge and has been very clear he want's to 'punish' us.

Surely that fact was obvious from the outset. A painless Brexit, with unicorns scattering rose petals in Britain's path as it danced off the cold iron manacles of EU diktats, was never on the menu.

Everyone knows this.

So the question is, who will be pulling the Article 50 trigger on the nation? Or more importantly, which politician is willing to actually enact that irreversible, momentous decision?

It will need a politician of courage, of conviction, of steel, ready to stake their reputation, career, place in history, and the future of an entire country and even a continent, on a single act.

Can you name one? Because I can't.

This is why Johnson and Gove looked so shell-shocked on Friday morning. They'd been totally outmanouevred. The tory leadership is now a chalice of purest poison, and not an inviting prospect for anyone who visualises a glittering political career ahead of themselves.

I have a lucky get-out in all this.

My kids can get EU passports, and if they want they will be able to travel and work and study, and marry, in any one of 27 countries as if it was there own.

British kids won't be so fortunate.

I feel for them.

About 30 pages back we considered the fixed term parliaments act, he cant call one on a whim
He can probably get a no-confidence motion going, out of the majority remain MPs across all parties. Section 2(3). Simple majority of those voting, then Bob's your uncle.

and, in any case, a general election wouldn't do anything to further the cause of moving us to the exit for months during which the economy would nose dive.
and so? Edited by L00b

Surely that fact was obvious from the outset. A painless Brexit, with unicorns scattering rose petals in Britain's path as it danced off the cold iron manacles of EU diktats, was never on the menu.

Everyone knows this.

So the question is, who will be pulling the Article 50 trigger on the nation? Or more importantly, which politician is willing to actually enact that irreversible, momentous decision?

It will need a politician of courage, of conviction, of steel, ready to stake their reputation, career, place in history, and the future of an entire country and even a continent, on a single act.

This is why Johnson and Gove looked so shell-shocked on Friday morning. They'd been totally outmanouevred. The tory leadership is now a chalice of purest poison, and not an inviting prospect for anyone who visualises a glittering political career ahead of themselves.

My kids can get EU passports, and if they want they will be able to travel and work and study, and marry, in any one of 27 countries as if it was there own.

I feel for them.

Hear hear.

Everyone knows this.

I feel for them.

Priti Patel would do it in a heartbeat.

Leadsom probably would as well. She seems sincere, super-confident and makes a good case but she might not be what she seems as all readers of Private Eye will know due to her powerful hedge fund connections.

You don't need some political titan to execute this, just a useful idiot or somebody with their own powerful agenda.

Everyone knows this.

I feel for them.

Pulling the trigger should only take place when we and the nations of europe have all our ducks in a row. Who pulls it is pretty irrelevant. Who would I want in charge of getting those ducks in a row. J R-M. Nobody more intelligent, calm, unflappable and affable in British politics at the moment in my opinion.

Pulling the trigger should only take place when we and the nations of europe have all our ducks in a row. Who pulls it is pretty irrelevant. Who would I want in charge of getting those ducks in a row. J R-M. Nobody more intelligent, calm, unflappable and affable in British politics at the moment in my opinion.

No way man. You have got to be either half-cut or trolling or having a laugh.