The consequence thread (Brexit)

I suspect they did. But the possibilities weren't appealing enough to present during the campaign.

It's here,I found it.Grayling is the one responsible:

'Immediate action'

Vote Leave said the government should invite figures from other parties, business, the law and civil society to join the negotiating team to "get a good deal in the national interest".

It called for immediate legislation in the current session of Parliament to "end the European Court of Justice's control over national security and allow the government to deport criminals from the EU".

"After we vote Leave, the public need to see that there is immediate action to take back control from the EU," Leave campaigner and Leader of the Commons Chris Grayling said.

"We will need a carefully managed negotiation process and some major legislative changes before 2020, including taking real steps to limit immigration, to abolish VAT on fuel and tampons, and to end the situation where an international court can tell us who we can and cannot deport."

Vote Leave said over subsequent sessions of Parliament it wanted to introduce:

Finance Bill - This would abolish the 5% rate of VAT on household energy bills by amending the Value Added Tax Act 1994. It would be paid for by savings from the UK's contributions to the EU budget, Vote Leave said

National Health Service (Funding Target) Bill - The NHS would receive a £100m per week real-terms cash "transfusion", to be paid for by savings from leaving the EU

Asylum and Immigration Control Bill - "To end the automatic right of all EU citizens to enter the UK"

Free Trade Bill - The UK leaves the EU's "common commercial policy" to "restore the UK government's power to control its own trade policy"

European Communities Act 1972 (Repeal) Bill - The European Communities Act 1972, "the legal basis for the supremacy of EU law in the UK", will be repealed. "The EU Treaties will cease to form part of UK law and the European Court's jurisdiction over the UK will end," said Vote Leave

There's an important point though. One of the trades unions reforms requires that votes over strike action require a certain turnout and a certain percentage of the total electorate to vote in favour for strike action to be valid. For public services 40% of the total union electorate must be in favour.

So there is a kind of sensible precedent, and the rules for it were designed by the Conservatives themselves .

Why take such extraordinary care over union ballot rules and be so utterly careless with a referendum process that affects the entire future of the country?

That may be, but those union ballot's are legally binding (within the area they represent) - so have tighter rules and guidelines, the referendum was basically just a UK wide opinion poll....

like the Scottish referendum, as far as i'm aware, there was a minimum required turnout and of that turnout, there was a minimum percentage of those required either way to be called...

I would have thought that planning,and a clear indication that we are planning,would have been carried out by the Brexiters in the long run up from the date that the referendum was announced,up to when it was held.........or is that a bit too much to ask?

I honestly believe they didn't see it as their job.

Time and time again on here the argument ran that the referendum was just about making the decision, with the actual business side of it after a Brexit vote being executed by the government, whatever party was in.

There were no plans because they didn't think we needed them. It'd all be fine and we'd sort it out later.

Fair point. Consequences thus far:

Collapse of the Tories

Collapse of Labour

SNP call for a 2nd referendum on independence

Call from Sinn Fein for a border poll.

Off to a flying start.........

Labour under Corbyn was always going to struggle regardless.

Dave has done the right thing given his stance.

SNP haven't got a leg to stand on.

NI politics is always complicated.

All of the above were expected.

Let's start talking real consequences, taxes, energy prices, workers rights, house prices, immigration,trade tariffs and agreements??

I've made my point, Nobody knows.