The consequence thread (Brexit)

No its not as it is not the Brexiters who have to formulate the way in which we leave, that is down to the government.

That is the most massive and disingenuous cop-out in modern political history.

Campaigning for something so specific with no idea how it will happen. Really?

Just let’s assume that the UK prosperous from being out, and I personally think we will (My opinion) and yes I voted out .Are the remain doubters going to say they were wrong and the right decision was made to leave the EU.

I was strongly in favour of remain, but not primarily because of prosperity. My major concerns are:

1. That brexit will validate some nasty people to be more openly nasty to foreigners, and more of the country will turn inward and hateful, and

2. The right wing of the Tory party (in the absence of a credible alternative) will head down the road of free market expansion, and do away with all the unnecessary EU beaurocracy such as pollution control requirements, safe working practices etc.

If neither of these happen, I'll be happy enough

Yes..

It is the Government that carries the responsibility to implement the changes. The Brexiters have little or no say in the matter or how that is achieved as it was a referendum.

Edited by apelike

If only the EU was purely a tariff free trading block between independent countries then everything would have been fine, but no, it insists that we all morph together into one superstate, with powers and sovereignty ceded to Brussels.

No it's not. It’s not about electing a party with a manifesto. It’s simply getting an answer to a specific question, in this case, whether to stay in or leave the EU.

The governments job is to govern not quit because they are spineless.

Leave the EU.

What that looks like is a negotiated position so only a massive weak minded cretin would expect anyone to guarentee what it would look like.

No it's not. It’s not about electing a party with a manifesto. It’s simply getting an answer to a specific question, in this case, whether to stay in or leave the EU.

The governments job is to govern not quit because they are spineless.

I can't agree.

In practical terms we knew that the leaders of the leave campaign had a high chance of leading the process. In that sense they should have some kind of vision of continuity. They have made specific promises that the voters will expect them to keep.

If they are now saying they didn't envisage any continuity between their pre-referendum promises that is a massive cop-out. No two ways about it. How can you sensibly argue otherwise?

Even though it has emerged that the following quote isn't entirely a legitimate quote from Churchill as some(unofficial) Brexit campaigner claimed, I still think these words are good and sum it up quite well.

We have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed. If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.

I can't agree.

In practical terms we knew that the leaders of the leave campaign had a high chance of leading the process. In that sense they should have some kind of vision of continuity. They have made specific promises that the voters will expect them to keep.

If they are now saying they didn't envisage any continuity between their pre-referendum promises that is a massive cop-out. No two ways about it. How can you sensibly argue otherwise?

Agree or not you are respectively wrong.

It was a binary question. The government said whatever the result they would steer the ship and hold until October leadership elections. Instead they threw everything out of the window. It was Cameron and his party that has thrown everything up in the air because he couldn't face the fact that his threats had not gone his way.

George Osbourne threatened the punishment budget and to wipe £30 Billion from services if we voted leave. Let's see if they were threats and scare tactics like everyone thought or will he follow through. I wonder if he will resign too.

Leave the EU.

What that looks like is a negotiated position so only a massive weak minded cretin would expect anyone to guarentee what it would look like.

I'm glad you sound rattled because these are the questions that are going to get asked.

Very specific promises were made that should be predicates for the negotiating position that Gove and Johnson should have fully expected to be in.

Now they are rowing back from those promises.

You can't have a situation where one group promises a raft of specific outcomes, wins a vote off the back of them and then walks away to leave others to deliver what could be incompatible outcomes.

The risk is that the reality will not align with the promises.

They aren't going to get away with this.