The consequence thread (Brexit)

You do not seriously believe that that's what I meant by enough is enough, so why ask it? people that have had enough voted in the referendum accordingly.

I was beginning to wonder Alan. You seemed to excuse an apparent spike in racist attacks on an increase in middle class rantings but if I've got the wrong end of the stick then fair enough.

As you point out, and its not something I've ever disagreed with. The people want out. They have spoken. Whether they get the full out they were promised remains to be seen.

If the terms of access to the single market are completely unacceptable then they can shove it up their jacksie!

And thus you demonstrate that Leave voters live in some sort of bubble universe, where behaviour like that doesn't entail extreme economic and financial hardship for the country.

Either that or you are wilfully self-destructive.

We won't be and can't be, if we still want to be in the single market. And even the most rabid euro sceptic politician wants that, because to not be in the market is economic suicide.

Unfortunately being in the market means complying with whatever terms the EU wishes. Which will include freedom of movement. It will also mean complying with much EU regulation, but we will no longer have any say in drafting that legislation or a veto on it. Woops. But it's not like we didn't tell you so.

But didn't you know, the Germans would be mad not to want to trade with us. They sell us their cars. Therefore, they will negotiate on whatever terms we want. We are the worlds 5th, err sorry, 6th biggest economy (and if things carry on like today for the rest of the week it will be 8th).

Edited by MobileB

If the terms of access to the single market are completely unacceptable then they can shove it up their jacksie!

It wont be long before the people of the other major European countries demand a change of the terms to make it more palatable for Britain(and them) so that sensible trade can happen.

Do you think Boris will get you/us a good deal? Access to the single market but no freedom of movement?

---------- Post added 27-06-2016 at 15:11 ----------

But didn't you know, the Germans would be mad not to want to trade with us. They sell us their cars. Therefore, they will negotiate on whatever terms with want. We are the worlds 5th, err sorry, 6th biggest economy (and if things carry on like today for the rest of the week it will be 8th).

What will they buy off us more importantly?

Do you think Boris will get you/us a good deal? Access to the single market but no freedom of movement?

---------- Post added 27-06-2016 at 15:11 ----------

What will they buy off us more importantly?

Doh. It's obvious. We do fantastic strawberries. Particularly at this time of year. Reight cheap in Aldi at moment. They would buy financial services off us normally - you know the bit that makes up 40% our GDP and with it about 45% of our tax revenues but I think we are making a good job of killing that off ourselves without the Germans help thank you.

Britain will quit Europe’s single market if the country votes to leave the EU, Michael Gove, the Leave campaign’s most senior figure, has confirmed for the first time.

https://next.ft.com/content/0c5c74bc-151e-11e6-b197-a4af20d5575e

I think Gove and Boris need to have a chat and make sure they are on the same page of the "How to Brexit" handbook. Boris still thinks we're having access to the single market, which of course requires free movement of labour, with... er... control over immigration.

I realise that politicians need to say what their constituency wants to hear, and that changes depending on who they are speaking to, but it's starting to look like his mouth is on autopilot and not actually connected to his brain.

Not banking. So are all your sources 100% true?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/buy-britain-but-sell-europe-after-stunning-brexit-rebuke-2016-06-24

You are telling me that foreign businesses don't want to carry on selling us things and wanting to make money. Go on pull the other one.

No need to panic, says ex-Bank of England chief King

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641046

They ignored the referenda in France and the Netherlands regarding the new EU constitution, and cancelled any further ratifying polls. Maybe that perhaps democracy isn't what the EU wants.

Secret negotiations on the TTIP, the punitive austerity measures in Greece, Ineffective response to increasing mass immigration from Africa and the Middle East and branding anyone who objected or does not agree to this as 'racist'.

You have a different view and that's great. There are many reasons leavers disagree with the remain camp and vice versa.

Alex Salmond: Scottish Parliament cannot block Brexit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/27/alex-salmond-scottish-parliament-cannot-block-brexit/

Wait wait wait. I explained to you that you were peddling nonsense about the EU being in worse shape and you come up with this. Let's be clear, nobody expected a Brexit vote to win, we haven't got a clue how this will impact anything, for good or for worse to any economy. At the moment though, believe it or not, the global economy is reeling. Your source from Marketwatch is highly appropriate in demonstrating that you are not a banker, traders on the markets don't care about the level of the markets, they care about the volatility. More economic turmoil in the short term is great for them.

It is not so great for the common man. People like you and me. We can't just pull our pensions out so they are now getting hammered and nobody knows how long that will last or what the long term effect is.

But that aside, ALL economists except for a very small minority, believe that leaving the single market (and thus the influence of the EU) is going to be positive for Britain, excluding Mervyn King, who was the man in charge of the ECB during the financial crisis in 2008. You might remember that ordeal.

Not leaving the single market effectively means you don't get what you want. Doesn't it?