The consequence thread (Brexit)

What a strange club the EU is. If the idea is to hammer the UK for leaving to deter others from doing so, it sort of indicates that the others dithering with leaving might feel better off out of the EU and need detering. Which I suppose vindicates the UK getting out when we got the chance.

As any action to punish the UK by tarriffs etc is easily countered with our own tarriffs on the EU, any attempt to punish the UK equally punishes remaining EU members. Now I can understand the EU damaging its own economy to hit Russia with sanctions, but doing the same to fellow NATO members seems a little short sighted.

The more I see things unfold the more I am convinced that the EU is turning into the type of state that we fought 2 world wars to avoid. We certainly did well to escape.

Calls for Juncker to resign. Everybody seems to hate him.

We haven't even begun to escape yet. And if we get a Norway deal we will still be in its orbit.

What a strange club the EU is. If the idea is to hammer the UK for leaving to deter others from doing so, it sort of indicates that the others dithering with leaving might feel better off out of the EU and need detering. Which I suppose vindicates the UK getting out when we got the chance.

As any action to punish the UK by tarriffs etc is easily countered with our own tarriffs on the EU, any attempt to punish the UK equally punishes remaining EU members. Now I can understand the EU damaging its own economy to hit Russia with sanctions, but doing the same to fellow NATO members seems a little short sighted.

The more I see things unfold the more I am convinced that the EU is turning into the type of state that we fought 2 world wars to avoid. We certainly did well to escape.

TFH is ill informed. The consensus in Europe is to seek to keep Britain in the single market and I have a feeling that the new PM is going to be quite amenable to that. The longer the economic uncertainty lasts, the more damage it will do.

i dont think its working in firvale :roll:

Who owns the houses in Firvale that Roma migrants live in? SCC? Private?

Not owned by the EU that's for sure. Though the EU is putting pressure on Eastern European nations to end Roma discrimination. Perhaps that will stop them needing or wanting to come here? Damn that EU!!!

That might not happen. Ange has already been talking to the French chap and the result of the conversation might be "hammer the UK hard" - I doubt it, but I don't know.

Hollande is toast next April so any real discussions will have to wait for the next person measuring up for curtains at the Elysee in late May at the earliest.

TFH is ill informed. The consensus in Europe is to seek to keep Britain in the single market and I have a feeling that the new PM is going to be quite amenable to that. The longer the economic uncertainty lasts, the more damage it will do.

You're giving me credit that I was informed at all - I saw a snippet of an article where it stated merkel and hollande had spoken. I can't remember the outcome and can't find the link.

Point is has Cameron or anyone spoke merkel or hollande and if not why not?

---------- Post added 27-06-2016 at 15:54 ----------

Hollande is toast next April so any real discussions will have to wait for the next person measuring up for curtains at the Elysee in late May at the earliest.

This is my other gripe with Cameron - why now and not wait a year or two where you might have got a better deal?

Calls for Juncker to resign. Everybody seems to hate him.

We haven't even begun to escape yet. And if we get a Norway deal we will still be in its orbit.

Well they can't say they weren't warned. Note the date..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11222007/Growing-calls-for-Jean-Claude-Juncker-resignation.html

Growing calls for Jean Claude Juncker resignation

Bloomberg, the financial newswire, says Mr Juncker 'needs to go' and has been 'foisted on' the countries of the EU

By Georgia Graham, Political Correspondent

8:09PM GMT 10 Nov 2014

There were growing calls for Jean-Claude Juncker to resign as President of the European Commission amid allegations that he presided over potentially illegal tax breaks given to multinational companies operating in Luxembourg.

Bloomberg, the influential financial newswire, devoted its editorial to a call for Mr Juncker’s resignation over revelations multinational companies were allegedly allowed to create complicated structures to avoid billions of pounds of tax when he was Prime Minister of the country.

It follows outrage from Conservatives MPs who see him an arch-federalist who believes in an "ever-closer" European Union, who will make it more difficult for David Cameron to renegotiate Britain’s relationship with Brussels before holding an in-out referendum in 2017 over his appointment.

The editorial, entitled “Jean-Claude Juncker Needs to Go”, describes Mr Juncker as a “bad choice for the job” who has been “foisted on the bloc's 28 national governments by a European Parliament eager to expand its powers.”

Edited by foxy lady

Assuming we trigger Article 50 in October, what chance do you give Le Pen?

Do you think Brexit shortens her odds?

Who owns the houses in Firvale that Roma migrants live in? SCC? Private?

Not owned by the EU that's for sure. Though the EU is putting pressure on Eastern European nations to end Roma discrimination. Perhaps that will stop them needing or wanting to come here? Damn that EU!!!

did you even read the post i responded to smiffy? if not read it and come back to me when you got it ok :D

The Scots sound like people from another planet don't they.:D