The consequence thread (Brexit)

Can you read Polish? This is from the Polish TV channel.

http://www.tvp.info/25939371/nasz-news-superpanstwo-zamiast-unii-europejskiej--ultimatum-francji-i-niemiec

---------- Post added 27-06-2016 at 20:23 ----------

There you go then. They can buy cars from us and we can buy cars from us too. That's good for UK jobs. That's taking back control.

I don't, but I am familiar with the document, I read the abstract of the German version. It is not policy, it is a starting document to discuss how the EU can become more resilient post Brexit. It is the complete opposite of the formation of an EU superstate, in fact it discusses how the EU should take note of Brexit and focus purely on supranational matters and leave national matters to the nations.

There are some balloons in there, which might well fly, but so far it is merely a starting point for a democratic process. That is how democracy in Europe works...

Link

By the way, the way the pound is going all cars will be ten percent more here...

---------- Post added 27-06-2016 at 20:33 ----------

got to see his excuse for this one :suspect::hihi:

Why should I make up an excuse for democracy in action? Just because you don't understand it?

Edited by tzijlstra

I don't know...would they? No tariffs on Audi Q7s and Merc GLs for wealthy Europeans, remember? Woops.

Don't forget, JLR is Indian owned...and they have a nice shiny factory in Slovakia now to build cars for Europe. Built with EU money no less...if you believe people that know nothing.

Don't forget, JLR is Indian owned...and they have a nice shiny factory in Slovakia now to build cars for Europe. Built with EU money no less...if you believe people that know nothing.
I don't, Radan...but I was keeping that one on my ear for later use, you spoilsport ;):D

---------- Post added 27-06-2016 at 21:03 ----------

And no tariffs on Jaguars & Range Rovers over here for wealthy brits, remember. Woops.
Are you seriously comparing the UK market size (with or without recession) to the EU27 market size here? Bless...

As for getting round tariffs, see Radan's post above: rather a bummer to import components from the Continent & elsewhere with a GBP worth beans plus tarriffs on top, cheaper to make them in Slovakia and ship them in with a 10% import tax :twisted:

I'm just waiting for Iceland to finish GB off in Nice now.

Leave vote, PM resignation, cross party wars, FTSE & GBP destroyed, constitutional crisis with Scotland, and then that, in less than a week? There's some karma being visited on a biblical scale, here :hihi:

Edited by L00b

Are you seriously comparing the UK market size (with or without recession) to the EU27 market size here? Bless...

As for getting round tariffs, see Radan's post above: rather a bummer to import components from the Continent & elsewhere with a GBP worth beans plus tarriffs on top, cheaper to make them in Slovakia and ship them in with a 10% import tax :twisted:

Oh dear you don't get it do you. Bless.

The EU sells rather more cars over here than we sell over there. It doesn't really matter about the size of the market if the European cars are squeezed in our market and theirs squeezed here.

If the UK has to manufacture 25% of the cars we previously imported from the EU and they have to manufacture 25% of the ones they import from here we would need to manufacture about 1/2 million extra cars in the UK.

Not being able to import parts would be a real bummer. We would have to open engineering shops to make those too. That would avoid the 10% import tax as well. :twisted:

Now where could we get the extra steel that we would need?

Anyhow I'm going to leave you to your quest. I bought a rather lovely old BMW over the weekend and I'm going to nip out to the pub in it.

Edited by foxy lady

The EU sells rather more cars over here than we sell over there. It doesn't really matter about the size of the market if the European cars are squeezed in our market and theirs squeezed here.

If the UK has to manufacture 25% of the cars we import from the EU and they have to manufacture 25% of the ones they import from here we would need to manufacture about 1/2 million extra cars.

Not being able to import parts would be a real bummer. We would have to open engineering shops to make those too. That would avoid the 10% import tax as well. :twisted:

And the price of the pound?

I'm sure the drunkard would wish he could make it so. In reality we will be negotiating mainly in Berlin and to a degree the Elysee. The 'official' negotiations will merely be a rubber stamp on the real ones.

Althogh they are big and powerful, I doubt that the EU is actually run by Germany and France. There are a few more countries involved.

The EU sells rather more cars over here than we sell over there.

Yup, that's down to capacity differential, not demand differential.

It doesn't really matter about the size of the market if the European cars are squeezed in our market and theirs squeezed here.
I'm going to remind you about these words in not too long ;)

If the UK has to manufacture 25% of the cars we previously imported from the EU and they have to manufacture 25% of the ones they import from here we would need to manufacture about 1/2 million extra cars in the UK.

And who's going to buy these cars with what money, and who's going to invest in the engineering shops with what money?

The chips are down. The EU is gambling 16% of its market. The UK is gambling 50% of its market. Think it through.

Edit: on the evidence of this government's Javid, you'll be getting the steel from China of course :)

Enjoy the drive, hope you're leaving the car at the pub after your session. Don't be ringing from the nick, I don't do criminal law :hihi:

Edited by L00b

Is that how much the tax is? I was reading that the import taxes on cars into the USA is 2.5%