The consequence thread (Brexit)

It's not over yet.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/britain-cant-leave-eu-without-140423176.html?nhp=1“

"Democracy in Britain doesn’t mean majority rule. It’s not the tyranny of the majority or the tyranny of the mob … it’s the representatives of the people, not the people themselves, who vote for them,” he said."

Now we have a constitutional crisis -and a debate as to what exactly democracy actually is.

If not, it would be the beginning of the end.

how true lol

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 01:35 ----------

Suggest you read, http://europa.eu/about-eu/institutions-bodies/european-parliament/index_en.htm.

But to quote from it: The European Commission is the EU's politically independent executive arm. It is alone responsible for drawing up proposals for new European legislation. Junker is the head of this, they are NOT elected.

Our elected representatives only get to vote on their proposals. They do not get to have any say in proposing any ideas.

This is a mute point the country had decided, get behind it and lets get a good deal.

So the commission sounds very much like the UK's Civil Service.

Does anyone here recall voting in Sir Jeremy Heywood? Or John Manzoni? Who? Yes, I had to look them up. It's just that we've heard of Juncker as he makes high profile public statements. UK civil servants don't.

We don't get to vote for them. Neither do they get to bring in new laws, as that is done by the council.

It's not as though our civil servants don't do all the donkeywork in preparing legisltion.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 06:51 ----------

It's not over yet.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/britain-cant-leave-eu-without-140423176.html?nhp=1“

"Democracy in Britain doesn’t mean majority rule. It’s not the tyranny of the majority or the tyranny of the mob … it’s the representatives of the people, not the people themselves, who vote for them,” he said."

Now we have a constitutional crisis -and a debate as to what exactly democracy actually is.

It's already been discussed that parliament has the final say. I don't think there is any sort of constitutional crisis. It is pretty clear. Parliament can ignore the referendum if it wishes - in fact I would expect the vast majority of MPs are in favour of staying, so they easily could.

However, that would cause a lot of upset, as people had been offered the decision via a referendum. (Mind you, they had also been offered control of immigration and £350m to the NHS, and neither of them are likely to happen)

But this is just chewing the fat.

It is over.

Edited by Eater Sundae

I doubt it would be a very very brave politician, that would pull that one. We have not got any.

The country have decided get behind it.

Give it 1-2 months and you'll find few MPs who will vote through the necessary repeals.

There is already a 350+ majority of anti-Brexit MPs

Suggest you read, http://europa.eu/about-eu/institutions-bodies/european-parliament/index_en.htm.

But to quote from it: The European Commission is the EU's politically independent executive arm. It is alone responsible for drawing up proposals for new European legislation. Junker is the head of this, they are NOT elected.

Our elected representatives only get to vote on their proposals. They do not get to have any say in proposing any ideas.

This is a mute point the country had decided, get behind it and lets get a good deal.

It is a mute point and it is wrong on many levels. I can't remember how often I have explained this but will do so again.

Just to be clear though - Juncker is under a lot of pressure because several countries are fed-up with him making his role bigger than it is in reality. He acts like he runs the EU, he does not. He runs the Commission and the Commission is purely a mechanism to draft proposals, in majority and usually, based on the instructions of the Council and Parliament, and to ensure the EU rules are enforced.

Article 50 states very clearly that this is a Council issue, it is the Council that has set up a taskforce to deal with Brexit and it is the Council who will propose the treaty to the EU Parliament for ratification once it has been drawn up. The EU Parliament is fully elected, as is the Council.

The chancellor says the markets will inevitably be a bit up and down:

We are in a prolonged period of economic adjustment … it will not be as economically rosy as life inside the EU. It’s very clear that the country is going to be poorer as a result of what is happening to the economy.

Will we get that emergency budget, he’s asked. Pressed on those doomy warnings (just a fortnight ago) that there would be spending cuts and tax rises, Osborne says: “Absolutely.”

But he adds:

That decision will come under a new prime minister.

The winner in all this could be David Cameron.
He won't be winning anything other than a footnote in history as the British PM who gambled the stability and future of the UK on a domestic party-politics issue and, against all expectations, lost. As with anything and everything in life, no other certainty in life than death and taxes, and your mileage may vary.

He will forever be remembered -rightly so- as the root cause of the problem, having campaigned for (at GE time) and then given, the referendum. Which, if you scratch the surface a bit, was always a political tool to silence the Eurosceptic contingent of the Tory party.

The tweet makes a lot of sense insofar as domestic politics (and stark economic reality) are concerned, but Cameron's move to check-mate Johnson is just party politics in action. That it effectively doubles as a sweet revenge on the Eurosceptics and its Leave figureheads is just bonus points.

Love him, loathe him or don't care one bit in-between, Cameron is nothing if not a supremely-skilled politician, and I have zero doubt his deferral on the Art.50 to the 'next PM' was deliberate political play: Friday morning, he called the Leavers' bluff.

In that context, the noises from the EU since about "no negotiations without article 50 letter in" is just the EU confirming to the UK that they'll take the UK exit seriously when the UK itself decides to take it seriously.

just found this thread - not read it all!!!!

consequence for us as a family is already disastrous. My zero hours contract has been confirmed at 0 hours from the Autumn "unless something dramatic changes" (ie we don't actually exit EU). My wife is on minimum wage so we expect that to be eroded pretty fast too

With the UK on the verge of breaking up I am already job hunting in Scotland so my kids can grow up as good Europeans and all that entails - We don't want to leave Sheffield but I am ashamed to count myself as English