The consequence thread (Brexit)

Leave scraped a win. But you don't get to railroad the rest of the country into an irreversible decision and just expect us all to be silent about it.

We won't "get over it". We still don't want it to happen.

If you'd had a strong majority, I'd be more inclined to keep quiet, but you don't.

I would have. Farage wouldn't, but he is a tool and does not represent me.

4% is not "scraped".

It's not irreversible.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 13:46 ----------

48% will not vote UKIP. With FPTP they won't form a government. With that in mind, you deal with it.

If they ignore the referendum what's the worst that will happen? Something akin to the miners strikes? Which the government won...

Poll tax riots? Took two years before they were scrapped.

Nobody ever wins 52%. (Except perhaps the SNP in Scotland). Under FPFP, you are pretty much guaranteed a stonking majority with 40% of the vote.

Worst that could happen. Well the government's lost its moral authority, that's pretty bad. No more referenda as they're pointless, so no way to resolve contentious constitutional matters. The rise of either UKIP or somebody truly distasteful like the BNP to a major player in parliament and most likely government. These are the obvious ones.

Edited by unbeliever

It's basically irreversible. Any re-entry would be on massively disadvantageous terms.

<2% over 50, less than 4% split between leave and stay, that's scraped.

I didn't say you wouldn't have, I just said that the remain voters won't, because leaving is still a massive mistake (and that's just becoming more clear by the day).

They will if you drive 51.9% of the electorate to vote for them. They'll get a majority of about 150.

With 20% of the vote they would certainly hold the balance of power between Labour/SNP and the Conservatives.

You lost. This "best 2 out of 3" rubbish is unconscionable, and doomed to failure.

It isn`t going to be "2 out of 3", if a post negotiation referendum takes place it will be a different question. I have to say if such a referendum took place and Leave won again, I`d be more willing to accept it. I can`t help thinking there were many protest votes by people who never thought we`d actually have to Leave, plus there are many who are already disillusioned by the rowing back by the Leave campaign on their "promises".

EU referendums have been rerun before in Ireland amongst others (on the Nice and Lisbon treaties) and both times the second referendum gave a different result

I would have. Farage wouldn't, but he is a tool and does not represent me.

4% is not "scraped".

It's not irreversible.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 13:46 ----------

Nobody ever wins 52%. (Except perhaps the SNP in Scotland). Under FPFP, you are pretty much guaranteed a stonking majority with 40% of the vote.

Even after its clear leaving the EU will not save the NHS or reduce immigration you still think they're electable? Mhhhm k.

What's the worst that will happen if the referendum is ignored. General strike? Seems unlikely.

Edited by Radan

Not really. Young people don't vote. Young people get older and become more euro-sceptic and conservative as they do so.

We shall see. There were a lot of 16 and 17 year olds who were rather keen to vote, and they did so in the Scottish referendum.

Do you have a source for this?

I expect you've posted it before, but I must not have read it at the time.

I can't find the exact FT article (Search engines frustrate me so much when I, as a professional can't even find what I look for...)

But here is a ranking based on freedom to do business. I will keep hunting for the original source, it is like realising you forgot a name and trying to remember, it will probably hit me at night.

This is Hunt talking about Norway Plus, I agree he isn't a likely candidate, but one has to assume that there will be some unity in noises within the Tory party on this.

Again, there is an article in the FT on this noise becoming more clear, but it is speculation at this point, so we will see what happens.

Not really. Young people don't vote. Young people get older and become more euro-sceptic and conservative as they do so.

The level of voting was taken into account in the calculation.

But you make a good point. 75% of the young are in favour of staying, but they didn't vote in much higher numbers than the elderly who do vote.

So in reality your <2% win is not at all representative of the population.