The consequence thread (Brexit)

I was pretty upset at the last General Election result, but I accepted it, because it could be undone in 5 years (well OK, due to Corbyn, more than 5 years......). The referendum result is completely different. We`re talking about a snapshot of public opinion on a subject that is forever. If we`re going to have to leave I want it to be after another referendum on the exact terms of departure, that is to say people voting on facts.

* Taken after the most dishonest campaign I can ever remember on a load of promises that nobody, particularly the Leave campaign, could make with any degree of certainty. In fact they`re already going back on them within days.

Do you mean you've only just noticed politicians are dishonest?

They've been pulling this trick with election manifestos for years.

I was pretty upset at the last General Election result, but I accepted it, because it could be undone in 5 years (well OK, due to Corbyn, more than 5 years......). The referendum result is completely different. We`re talking about a snapshot of public opinion on a subject that is forever. If we`re going to have to leave I want it to be after another referendum on the exact terms of departure, that is to say people voting on facts.

* Taken after the most dishonest campaign I can ever remember on a load of promises that nobody, particularly the Leave campaign, could make with any degree of certainty. In fact they`re already going back on them within days.

Justin, as things stand I am desperate to leave the country, and I will in due time. Our savings and investments in pounds are worth 10% less now and unless this mess is resolved quickly likely even less in a few months. I expect the same torrent of letters we received in 2008 about our pensions to arrive again soon and if we don't decide to sell the house soon and exchange the proceeds to dollars we are likely to lose a lot on that as well.

My job prospects, as a 'contractor' at Universities and the career prospects of my wife which relied on European research money are likely in tatters. On top of that I have to stand by idly whilst racist kids abuse anybody with an accent different than theirs.

But the vote was conclusive, 52% of the UK, rightly or wrongly, voted to leave the EU. It will have a huge impact on this country and all those in it, but ignoring the outcome of this referendum is not just political suicide, it is the death of democracy. I hope, for everybody's sake, that there will be an EEA treaty that comes out of this. That the UK government FINALLY takes the concerns of the people about immigration seriously and implements the rules that are compatible with the EEA status as soon as possible and, on top of that, finally starts to discuss the TRUTH about immigration and what the EU means to this country.

For years people have been lied to by politicians in the UK. There is a huge fundamental deficit in the democratic process that needs to be addressed, I hope that too will be on the agenda. In the mean-time, the only thing that decent people, which is the huge majority, in this country can do is actually engage with politics. Too many people have shirked that responsibility and it is time they woke up.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 14:56 ----------

You're not worried about their success in local and european elections?

I was far more concerned by the Austrian presidential election, but France is just right next door.

Austria has always had a large far right vote, historically. It has never really gone away. But yes, there needs to be apprehension about these successes and they need to be addressed.

The only thing that is nonsense is your analogy.

It was 4%. A slim majority. How many Expats weren't allowed to vote Ticker?

They were allowed to vote what's your point. If you are talking about the 15 year rule and you do not agree with it you are delusional. Why is every Brit an expat abroad but everyone foreign an immigrant here?

You don't call 1.3 million a strong majority? What planet do the remain camp live on.

If you saw 1.3 million people suddenly converge on Sheffield your view would be "it's only a few". Absolute nonsense and you know it.

It's not very many in the context of over 30 million votes..

Edited by truman

That would be leaving the single market then.

Ideally. As I have stated, a few times now, Switzerland has single market access without EEA membership.

My ideal solution would be a system of bilateral agreements with the EU analogous to, but not identical to, those between the EU and Switzerland.

Edited by unbeliever

[/b]

Do you mean you've only just noticed politicians are dishonest?

They've been pulling this trick with election manifestos for years.

This one was much more blatant and started the day after the referendum, as opposed to just being quietly forgotten during a 5 year term.

Also, there were plenty of people challenging the impossible claims with facts, but the claims carried on regardless. And judging by the comments since, plenty believed the claims.

They were allowed to vote what's your point. If you are talking about the 15 year rule and you do not agree with it you are delusional. Why is every Brit an expat abroad but everyone foreign an immigrant here?

It's delusional to not agree that British Citizens should not be able to vote if they haven't lived here for 15+ years?

That's a very odd delusion.

My, aren't you sassy?

Your maths is terrible. I simply pointed that out; your analogy sucked.

I said Expat because if I'd said immigrant it would have confused you.

It's not very meany in the context of over 30 million votes..

Seriously if any of you think 1.3 million people is a small amount you are utterly delusional.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 15:08 ----------

My, aren't you sassy?

Your maths is terrible. I simply pointed that out; your analogy sucked.

I said Expat because if I'd said immigrant it would have confused you.

Not really. We won. By a lot. You just can't grasp it.