The consequence thread (Brexit)

Blimey I wouldn't want some of you lot around if there was a real crisis, Remain voting doom and gloom merchants and drama queens :D

When is it a real crisis Michael? Is a country where both main political parties are falling over each other trying to sort the mess out, the pound at its lowest point since the mid-80s, open attacks on 'foreigners' all over and a constitutional crisis threatening the United Kingdom not a real crisis? It is just a figment of our imagination, is it?

Interesting article on how one country, Liechtenstein, has got single market access and migrant quotas:

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86122

I had no idea about this example.

Long debated in the Referendum thread pre-vote. See e.g. this, this, and this. If you wish :)

There is no rational basis in a comparison between Liechtenstein, which is about the size of Handsworth and a bit, has 37,000 residents, and can import and export its immigrant working population (20,000 of them!) daily because it's landlocked; and the UK (except NI, many NI residents work in the Republic, and reciprocally, and commute trans-border daily - that goes back decades and longer).

I accept that the Liechtenstein deal creates a legal/contractual precedent upon which the UK could try and build a "UK special" for the freedom of movement issue, because that's pretty much a UK mindset ground in UK common law ('precedent makes law'). But I just cannot see the EU27 giving the precedent much weight, considering the differentials in size, population, geographic data and situation, and historico-social circumstances.

Edited by L00b

They have now I hope you can come back in three years time and say the same.

I think they said something similar when we didn't join the Euro. But since the recession we've enjoyed pretty much double the growth of the Eurozone as well.

Told today that as all our business is done in Dollars, with any Sterling bought with said dollars for our UK office overheads and salaries, we're actually making more money since the fall in the exchange rate.

Edit: I mean the company I work for, not business in the UK in general..

Edited by the_bloke

Told today that as all our business is done in Dollars, with any Sterling bought with said dollars for our UK office overheads and salaries, we're actually making more money since the fall in the exchange rate.

Ho thats ok then I might spend a bit more this week now.Thanks for informing me.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 17:12 ----------

I think they said something similar when we didn't join the Euro. But since the recession we've enjoyed pretty much double the growth of the Eurozone as well.

I cannot remember that

Ho thats ok then I might spend a bit more this week now.Thanks for informing me.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 17:12 ----------

I cannot remember that

Can you remember 2010 when we were getting 1.12 Euros to the pound? At the moment it is 1.22.