The consequence thread (Brexit)

To be fair, not everyone who voted leave are bigots or racists. There are other concerns relating to the EU debate apart from immigration.

Sad to say though that every person I discussed the EU referendum with who had decided to vote out cited immigration as their main reason. This was my experience anyway.

---------- Post added 24-06-2016 at 12:10 ----------

I am waiting for news from the large companies that opened up in Britain because it was deemed a great place to trade with Europe, low taxes, no tariffs, a strong pound.

We shall see, but I have a feeling that this uncertainty is going to take until the final brexit button has been pushed and the complete terms and conditions for trade with the EU are clear. That could be in a couple of years, that could be in a decade.

---------- Post added 24-06-2016 at 10:58 ----------

This is the scary undertone in this whole debate. There are people who genuinely want nothing more than to turf all the immigrants out. Who knows where they'll stop.

All those who don't have a British passport, all those who have nonBritish ancestry, all those who don't have blue eyes and blonde hair maybe ......... does this all sound familiar ?

If we dont improve on our export and reduce our out going. we will not be here for long as we are £1.700,000,000,000 in debt.

So it was a good idea to remove ourselves from our largest tariff free trade area in the world?

Do you think BMW will stop selling its motors in the UK ?

Do you think Mercedes will stop selling its motors in the UK ?

No , of course they wont.

You have been listening to far too many of Camerons scare tactics.

The UK survived perfectly well before we were in the EU ,and we will be fine now.

Are you entirely sure about that ?

I've heard that sentence bandied about for months but is it really true ... genuine question.

Sad to say though that every person I discussed the EU referendum with who had decided to vote out cited immigration as their main reason. This was my experience anyway.

I agree, I think the majority of votes will be based on immigration.

Hopefully there will be some further analysis so we can find out, I really want to be proved wrong.

Edited by the fonz

Let's see what other magic bullets are about to be withdrawn by the Leave camp in the coming days. You've been played, well and truly played.

Thank God for that. I was really worried about the greenbelt land they would have to use to build a new hospital every week.

If we are competative we can export to the biggest market like Usa, China, Russia, india pakistan etc etc Europe is just small fish compare to them. if we can make high quality products and sell at a decent price example(range rover until we sold it) .

The EU market is twice the size of the USA.... and you're assuming we can get favourable deals... do Pakistan buy many Range Rovers?

" Europe was the company’s largest sales region in 2015"

http://www.jaguarlandrover.com/gl/en/investor-relations/news/2016/01/08/jaguar-land-rover-reports-strong-full-year-global-sales-for-2015/

Edited by truman

In the Netherlands? We have a two tier benefit system. Either you are not in work, in which case you get a minimum stipend called bijstand. If you are unable to work due to a disability this stipend gets supplemented with a personal allowance depending on the degree of disability. This system is closed for EEA citizens unless they have worked in the NL for five years.

There is a degree of child-benefit and housing benefit (in work benefits) that all citizens (With a residence permit!) are eligible for, if they do not earn more than a certain amount of money annually. This eligibility is tiered, so the more you make, the less you receive. EEA nationals are only eligible for all of this if they are in work and have a residence permit.

If you have worked but lose your job you become eligible for the equivalent of Job Seekers Allowance. That covers at least 70% and in some cases more of your previous income for a set period of time, the stipend decreases in steps so as to encourage people to get back into work. EEA citizens are eligible for this if they have contributed to the system in the Netherlands or another EEA state before but only if they still live in the Netherlands. A recent amendment was made so that a portion of this can be received whilst moving back to the country of origin to find work there.

In other words, you only become eligible for benefits in the Netherlands if you contributed enough to the system.

*EDIT - sorry, didn't phrase something right*

Interesting. >=70% is a lot.

How do you prevent people building up benefit entitlement and then simply stopping work and living off the accrued benefits for as long as they last?

Are such people counted as unemployed?

We will have get off your high horses and abolish minimum wage and work your way up the ladder.

Now correct me if I'm wrong.... but you said before..

I am from Poland and english is my third lang. Can you write as good in your third lang?

So please would you mind getting out and sod of back to Poland? We don't want your kind here apparently... that's the way this country is going to go. AS the economy gets worse, everyone whose not a perfect little anglosaxon will get squeezed out and we'll end up with the worst kind of xenophobia possible.