The consequence thread (Brexit)

Well it sounds like another Mike Ashley,a british company undermining the UK,making big profits on the back of cheap foreign labour,and leaving migrants to be blamed..........cue UKIP jumping on the bandwagon and blaming the EU.........it's not the EU,it's the company.

The EU has enabled the companies to do this though, and virtually nothing could be done about it, such as restrict inward migration because of course it goes against the free movement of people ethos.

Well it sounds like another Mike Ashley,a british company undermining the UK,making big profits on the back of cheap foreign labour,and leaving migrants to be blamed..........cue UKIP jumping on the bandwagon and blaming the EU.........it's not the EU,it's the company.

I quite agree but if our government does nothing, it was up to us, voting out to do so

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 22:07 ----------

We've been over this in the other thread, remember Phil? Without going into the whole thing again, a short version: there is a law against that now. That UK law could have been made sooner if the UK had bothered. It isn't anything to do with the EU.

you never answered it, and the law was made prior to this

Edited by phil752

My problem isn't with the Polish couple, I admire anyone willing to go abroad and start a business, but its a shame the government at the time didn't give the same encouragement to British folk, instead keeping them in benefits to not work!

How do you know they didn't?,we are only getting part of the story here,which departments in the Scottish government are responsible,how does it work,what is the back story to this couple,we don't know except they were invited,whatever that means.

My problem isn't with the Polish couple, I admire anyone willing to go abroad and start a business, but its a shame the government at the time didn't give the same encouragement to British folk, instead keeping them in benefits to not work!

what encouragement would you like them to have been given?

grants and advice have been available for years

Can't be arsed to Google but who was that Labour insider now who said the Labour party actively sent out search parties to eastern Europe to encourage people to come over to Britain?

Edited by Guest

The EU has enabled the companies to do this though, and virtually nothing could be done about it, such as restrict inward migration because of course it goes against the free movement of people ethos.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/recruitment-sector-prohibiting-the-advertising-of-jobs-exclusively-in-other-eea-countries

On the 9 April 2014 as part of a wider announcement on illegal working and stronger penalties for unscrupulous employers, the Prime Minister announced plans to tackle recruitment agencies that discriminate against workers in Great Britain by advertising exclusively overseas.

We are seeking views on a proposal to amend the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 (as amended) to include a new regulation which would prohibit employment agencies and employment businesses from advertising vacancies in another European Economic Area (EEA) country without also advertising in Great Britain.

Edited by chalga

That's not my understanding of how the term gets used. An ex-pat is someone who generally goes and works in another country to where they are usually resident. This is generally short term, their tax domicile doesn't change and they have every expectation and intent to return, generally in less than five years perhaps.

If you are going to move abroad permanently, and by that I mean to change your tax domicile etc and sell up property, then that's immigration. But that's just how I understand it.

That's pretty much how I understand it, but you put it more succinctly.

I don't see any sort of moral difference. However, if one is seen (by others) as a pejorative term, as it clearly is being seen, then maybe I should reconsider the words I use. I do not wish to give the wrong impression, and not wish to offend. Although it might take me a little time to learn. Old habits die hard.

If people don't like MP's in constituency's other than their own, they can vote against that MP's party in their own constituency to keep them and their party out of power, which is what actually goes on all the time; there is quite a vibrant tactical voting culture in this country.

In the EU though, while the political make up depends on which party wins in local European elections, the number of British MEP's is static, it never changes, so there's no useful majority to be won, and as I've said we can't do nothing about other countries MEP's.

I think that's a stretch. The best you can do is to help influence one out of 650 seats.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 22:28 ----------

The Iceland guys played superbly.

I don't know if I'll be supporting them more than the French team. Go little Vikings, go!

Maybe it's the typically British underdog-supporting mentality rubbing off on me ;)

We'll convert you and Tim to Little Englanders before we've finished. (I'm glad I now know he is Tim, otherwise I would have needed to look his username up to make sure I got the letters in the right order).