The consequence thread (Brexit)

The new Labour government has a lot to answer for, for its betrayal of working people of this country. The morning of Brexit I remember Lorraine Kelly was in Edinburgh in some café interviewing members of the public. She had a Polish couple with her; during the interview the woman dropped the bombshell that "10 years ago the Scottish government invited them over to start a business"!

Yes you read that right. Not, welcomed them over when they came to start a business, but "invited" them over to start a business!

What's wrong with that?

That's true, he doesn't repeat himself.

One day he's happy to accept the "£350m to the NHS" lie, then the next day h's not.

Can someone put me straight on the 350 million figure?

As I understand it 350 million is debited out of the treasury to the EU.

A portion of it, 70 million(?) is promised back to us in a rebate next year.

Another large portion of it is at some point spent by the EU in this country on things it decides.

The EU trousers the rest.

Is that not correct?

Another large portion of it is at some point spent by the EU in this country on things it decides.

Is that not correct?

Yes, that is correct, the EU receives around 12 billion, net, from the EU (Until Brexit is complete).

So what is/was incorrect is the slogan on a bus driving all round the UK suggesting that money is going to be spent on other things, like the NHS, instead.

What's wrong with that?

If there nothing wrong with it then why was the government at the time so coy about it? They were always banging on about how we should welcoming to foreigners coming in to Britain from eastern Europe, but they were never open and honest about actively encouraging and inviting them to come in on mass as they did.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 23:06 ----------

Yes, that is correct, the EU receives around 12 billion, net, from the EU (Until Brexit is complete).

So what is/was incorrect is the slogan on a bus driving all round the UK suggesting that money is going to be spent on other things, like the NHS, instead.

But who says it isn't going to be spent on the NHS? It could well be.

Actually I remember remainers complaining and refuting the actual figure itself, not just what the saving would be spent on.

Edited by Guest

Is that not correct?

Your right the £350m is the indebtedness we have to the EU we get a rebate of X and project ( which they decide) of Y leaving a net fee to them, however here is the rub. If there is an increase on our contributions, (which is imminent) the increase is a percentage of the £350m. So in reality we are indebted to the sum of £350m

No I don't think there is an issue using it, genuinely. I just brought it up because I find it an interesting phenomenon.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 22:29 ----------

Zulu India Juliette Lima Sierra Tango Romeo Alpha

(Done that before you see ;) )

And unfortunately I am lost for Little England, proud Jocko-in-becoming here ;)

So you'll have to learn Mike Charlie Zulu India Juliet Lima Sierra Tango Romeo Alpha.

If there nothing wrong with it then why was the government at the time so coy about it? They were always banging on about how we should welcoming to foreigners coming in to Britain from eastern Europe, but they were never open and honest about actively encouraging and inviting them to come in on mass as they did.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 23:06 ----------

But who says it isn't going to be spent on the NHS? It could well be.

What, the 350 million a week we send to the EU? It can't, around half of it doesn't exist... The person who said it won't be, by the way, was Farage. So yes, technically the new PM could raise the NHS budget by 350 million a week (around 18 billion), but he will also have to fund all the things the EU funded with that money and, as things stand now, the deficit. I am sure a token-amount will go to the NHS, after all, the trusts are leaking money left right and center and that can't go on, but the majority will go straight into the deficit gap.

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 23:11 ----------

So you'll have to learn Mike Charlie Zulu India Juliet Lima Sierra Tango Romeo Alpha.

Hmmm, I was practising adding Delta Romeo to the front, but I agree, Mike Charlie has a certain ring to it as well ;)

What, the 350 million a week we send to the EU? It can't, around half of it doesn't exist... The person who said it won't be, by the way, was Farage. So yes, technically the new PM could raise the NHS budget by 350 million a week (around 18 billion), but he will also have to fund all the things the EU funded with that money and, as things stand now, the deficit. I am sure a token-amount will go to the NHS, after all, the trusts are leaking money left right and center and that can't go on, but the majority will go straight into the deficit gap.

Whatever the saving is, could, theoretically be spent on the NHS if a government chose to do so. Especially if it was a Labour government. To say that it definitely wont is just more remain camp bluster.

did they actively encourage them though?

---------- Post added 28-06-2016 at 23:17 ----------

Whatever the saving is, could, theoretically be spent on the NHS if a government chose to do so. Especially if it was a Labour government. To say that it definitely wont is just more remain camp bluster.

it's not bluster though is it, because the leave camp spent friday and the weekend back pedalling on those promises

I know people who voted to leave on the basis that they thought the NHS would somehow magically get 350 million a week extra. Now, I know that was stupid, but don't you think, somewhere deep down, that this was expected? Or was it a coincidence they paraded this bus in every public engagement event?

By the way, I didn't say it definitely wouldn't.