The consequence thread (Brexit)

Each ballot box is counted individually to make sure no one has been stuffing the box with false ballots (they know how many were issued... an undercount box is uncommon, an overcount box is a really serious deal).

Each boxes results are then bundled and go into the electoral ward to make up the total count. Although the sort by votes is done at the ballot box level, the results are only by ward. Election counting is entirely reserved to local Govt so it all occurs at the local boundary levels as it were.

Typically a ward will have 5-10 thousand voters and perhaps 20 ballot boxes. All these will be counted by one team of perhaps 6 tellers.

---------- Post added 29-06-2016 at 14:57 ----------

Not as far as I know. You can get to ward level and that's it.

Any chance we can find out how Boris and Corbyn voted?

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of individual polling station results. Not sure if those are published.

Every ballot paper is numbered and alocated to a named voter, and so if they wanted to they could check how each person voted.

It would be interesting to see how Jeremy Corbyn voted.

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of individual polling station results. Not sure if those are published.

Also it wont necessarily be on Sheffields site. The Yorks and Humber region was collated at Leeds before being sent through to Manchester. So you might need to visit the Leeds site to get the full figures.

---------- Post added 29-06-2016 at 15:03 ----------

Any chance we can find out how Boris and Corbyn voted?

I can yes assuming I can persuade a judge to unseal the archives.

Not that I am intending to sort through 26 million papers in random order.

Every ballot paper is numbered and alocated to a named voter, and so if they wanted to they could check how each person voted.

It would be interesting to see how Jeremy Corbyn voted.

It is incredibly time consuming to do that as you would have to look through every ballot till you found the one you wanted as they are not in any form of order.

What is much easier is to find out who voted for the "dodgy" parties which was very commonly done when people were voting for the CPGB and the NF, but I don't think that is done now

SO why do we want to change things if as you say we have this fantastic growth while in the E U.Why invite a recession and risk all those gains.

Because it was the EU holding us back. I noticed just now the FTSE has just passed where it was the day before the referendum. The 250 is also on the rise and is now higher than it was 2 weeks ago. Perhaps if the doom & gloom merchants hadn't spent so much time predicting the apocalypse the markets wouldn't have taken the hit in the first place.

Edited by foxy lady

With regards to the process for the EU: The UK will propose a treaty to replace the existing treaties that it will be nullifying unilaterally. That new treaty (let's call it proposal) will require bilateral approval, meaning the EU Council AND Parliament have to approve it. The Council will be the body that is doing the negotiations and can accept, reject with amendments or full-stop reject the proposal, the Commission will inform the Council during those negotiations about technical details (that is their role, they are like civil servants) and the EU Parliament approves, rejects with amendments, or full-stop rejects the proposal.

If the Parliament or council rejects with amendments it will go back to the UK with those proposed amendments. The UK will respond to this by entering negotiation with the EU Council again. This is then repeated until the proposal is approved. If the proposal is rejected, time and again, the result is that the UK unilaterally leaves the EU.

This might sound appealing at first, but in actual fact has a number of very severe consequences. Firstly, the rights guaranteed by the EU treaties of all Brits living in the EU and all EU-citizens in the UK are immediately null and void. This does not mean (one hopes) that these people get chased out of the country on the spot, but it does mean that there is an awful lot of uncertainty about all sorts of important issues. The rights of all businesses operating both in the UK and the EU will immediately be null and void. The same as for citizens applies. There would (presumably) be a defaulting to the WTO trade agreements, an immediate introduction of trade tariffs and all the other aspects related to that position would be the consequence.

<snip>

Tim, unless I've misread (anticipated apologies if so), with respect, I don't believe the above is true until the Article 50 2 year period is up and unless the period is not extended.

During those 2 years, the rights guaranteed by the EU treaties of all Brits living in the EU and all EU-citizens in the UK still apply, because (by the logic of your explanation: 'propose a treaty to replace the existing treaties that it will be nullifying unilaterally') the EU treaties are not nullified until and unless the replacing treaty is signed by both sides, or the 2 year period is up without extension, whichever happens first.

This is why both (i) the timing of the Article 50 letter and (ii) completing the negotiations within 2 years from same, are crucial: the nullifying of EU treaties and the WTO rules kick in automatically when the 2 years are up, if the negotiations are still ongoing by then and the negotiating period is not extended.

Edited by L00b

As some have mentioned Juncker on this thread I thought this interesting as it happened while he was in charge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36662636

Juncker was anti British and his family had a very dubious war record. Without Juncker in charge the negociations might have gone a lot better and with a favourable deal we might have voted remain.

Because it was the EU holding us back. I noticed just now the FTSE has just passed where it was the day before the referendum. The 250 is also on the rise and is now higher than it was 2 weeks ago. Perhaps if the doom & gloom merchants hadn't spent so much time predicting the apocalypse the markets wouldn't have taken the hit in the first place.

It was expected and predicted that the markets would fall as would the currency.

However we don't know of the long term repercussions of Brexit- no doubt these will come and things may not then just be a short term blip.