The consequence thread (Brexit)

No end to EU immigration under May/Boris:

Restricting EU labour migration to Britain to the 70% who already have a job lined up is the strongest option in the government’s search for a way to cut immigration while keeping the freedom of movement needed to stay within Europe’s single market.

Both of the Conservative leadership frontrunners, Boris Johnson and Theresa May, have backed the idea that the EU’s free-movement principle should be interpreted as meaning the freedom to move to a specific job rather than the freedom to cross borders to look for work or claim benefits.

This approach is likely to be uppermost in the minds of the two key contenders for the Tory leadership contest as they prepare for Brexit negotiations that could close the door on unskilled labour from Europe without Britain’s loss of access to the single market.

Only the 70% coming to work in a specific job would get a national insurance number. And they would get only temporary worker status – as in the Australian immigration system – without full rights to settle in the UK and no right to bring in immediate family, below a certain income threshold.

An outright ban on the remaining 30% of EU migrants who come looking for work might breach the EU treaties on free movement. But a system in which labour migrants who arrive without a job have to register on a Home Office database, perhaps be issued with an identity card and be obliged to go home if unable to find a job within a few months, might fall within the kind of reform of the EU’s free-movement rules that Britain could put on the table in the Brexit negotiations.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/29/working-eu-uk-free-movement-permit-easy-entry-migrants-jobs-automatic-rights-

This is EXACTLY what people have been calling for . Ive posted many times on here , that people should only be allowed into the UK if they have a job to come to and can support themselves.

What must stop is the free movement of scroungers coming here for handouts

No end to EU immigration under May/Boris:

When our economy stagnates and goes into recession, fewer immigrants will come here, that can be seen as reducing immigration and the demand might then go towards fixing our economy.

Who will be party to the undertsanding that it can be downgraded? Because if it means that the EU understands that it will change from EEA, then I reckonnthat's a non-starter.

I am not sure it is. It buys everybody time, takes the uncertainty out of the markets and the EU would still have some say in which bits the UK agrees to and which it doesn't (based on a bottom-line agreement).

This is EXACTLY what people have been calling for . Ive posted many times on here , that people should only be allowed into the UK if they have a job to come to and can support themselves.

What must stop is the free movement of scroungers coming here for handouts

I don't think you can begin to understand how happy I am with your endorsement for that model.

As there is much said in the EU about GB and it's decision to leave the failed EU, should we follow EU advice and invoke Article 50 now, not when Cameroon has left Government in three months time.

We voted OUT, so lets get going asap. The quicker we are with invoking A50 the sooner we will be free again, 2 years max, which is 23 months too long I think.

Angel1.

As there is much said in the EU about GB and it's decision to leave the failed EU, should we follow EU advice and invoke Article 50 now, not when Cameroon has left Government in three months time.

We voted OUT, so lets get going asap. The quicker we are with invoking A50 the sooner we will be free again, 2 years max, which is 23 months too long I think.

Angel1.

Agreed, the sooner the UK politicians agree to an EEA agreement, the better.

Angel1.

Constitutionally the government can't implement Article 50 without an Act of Parliament - how many MPs will vote for that?

It ain't going to happen - get over it!

Constitutionally the government can't implement Article 50 without an Act of Parliament - how many MPs will vote for that?

It ain't going to happen - get over it!

Not so sure about that... source?

In other news, the outcome of the meeting of the '27' is known, the EU are going to play hardball (as a starting position) on single market access. The conclusion of what that means will play out in the markets tomorrow I suspect. Overall, I think it is what was to be expected, I still think the most likely outcome is that the UK will adopt an EEA at best, EFTA at worst treaty.

I am not sure it is. It buys everybody time, takes the uncertainty out of the markets and the EU would still have some say in which bits the UK agrees to and which it doesn't (based on a bottom-line agreement).

I don't think you can begin to understand how happy I am with your endorsement for that model.

My stance has always been clear , check my posting history.

I welcome anyone who has employment in place when they arrive here ,and can support themselves financially from day one.

My problem is with those who pitch up here with nothing with the sole intention of getting a free house and handouts. A programme on Channel 4 last year spoke to Slovak Roma ,and many admitted they came here purely for handouts , with many sending money back home yo give their family a better life back home.

I will always remember one Roma bloke saying " God bless the Queen , she gives us free money" .

THIS is what people have had enough of .

No one , from both the EU and the rest of the world should be allowed to come here without the means to support themselves and employment secured before they are allowed in.

The EU`s obsession with free movement has created the benefit migrants we see today .

My stance has always been clear , check my posting history.

I welcome anyone who has employment in place when they arrive here ,and can support themselves financially from day one.

My problem is with those who pitch up here with nothing with the sole intention of getting a free house and handouts. A programme on Channel 4 last year spoke to Slovak Roma ,and many admitted they came here purely for handouts , with many sending money back home yo give their family a better life back home.

I will always remember one Roma bloke saying " God bless the Queen , she gives us free money" .

THIS is what people have had enough of .

No one , from both the EU and the rest of the world should be allowed to come here without the means to support themselves and employment secured before they are allowed in.

The EU`s obsession with free movement has created the benefit migrants we see today .

I am delighted, except for your last statement, I have repeated it several times, but because I am delighted I will repeat it again just for you: The other EU nations already adopted measures against benefit migration, the only country not to was the UK. That isn't the fault of the EU, it is the fault of the UK government.